I have multiple questions for current or former firefighters (questions in details as it will be to many characters here)?

So my first question is how much free time/family time do you have while being a firefighter? I'm 20 years old right now and honestly not having much free time wouldn't bother me but I've always been worried for the future when I eventually start a family as I'd like to be able to spend time with them often. Another question I have is how do things like wild fires affect me? For example I live in California where wild fires are a common thing but none ever happen near me or close enough to make me feel like I'd end up in danger. Would I be assigned to go fight that fire or stay in my city? Or would it be my personal choice since I assume fighting wild fires is some sort of overtime pay? I'm currently taking an EMT course and am looking forward to joining the service so I probably will do it regardless of the answers but I'd still like to know what to prepare for. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.