Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 2 months ago

Without the use of helium , how can I photograph a floating balloon  ?

I need one single latex helium balloon for a photo I'm doing .

Obviously  I  wont go out and rent / buy a helium tank for one balloon. 

Also I dont want to go to the store and hassle with having only one balloon  filled.

With out  photoshopping my image , is there a way I can portray  the same illusion of a person  holding the string in his hand  with the Balloon  floating  mid-air ?

Fill the balloon with water... Tie it up side down with strong threads... Then get the picture by using the upside down techniques... Edited it later to normal position...

Use a piece of wire instead of a string. It will mimic the string but is strong enough to keep the ballon up. Here shoe shops had special ones made when they handed out balloons to kids.

• ?

I'm too lazy to answer, like you're too lazy to buy a darn balloon.

Place a hair dryer underneath it. Use a fast shutter speed.

• keerok

Glue the top of the balloon to another string, the thinnest you can find, then tape it to the ceiling. Edit it out in the computer.

You are painting yourself into a corner.

If you have to have a latex balloon that can float, you either need to fill it yourself with helium or get one from a party store or maybe the dollar store and have them fill it.

• Sumi

If the person holding the string hits the balloon up into the air and you are quick on the shutter button, you can capture the moment when the balloon's string is at or around being taut.  Depending upon your skills and that of the model, plus if you're paying them by the hour, it may be worth just paying for a single filled balloon.

You could also apply glue to the balloon's string which will make it stiff.  Plenty of glues that dry clear.

You could get some semi-flexible wire that will allow you to bend it in a way that would mimic a normal balloon string.  Then cover the wire with cloth or a wide piece of string.

Honestly, the amount of time and effort wasted makes it worth paying the few bucks for a stinkin' balloon.

Dear clueless. Get someone to drop it for you and be set up for the shot when they do. 

Source(s): Imagination and common sense. Get some.
  • Barry

Yes. Rub the balloon on your clothes and it will gain static electricity. Place it on the ceiling or a light fitting. It should stay there long enough for a person to hold onto the string.