Is it possible to learn how to dowse?

My grandmother was able to dowse, but only did it twice that I know of.   Was able to find  a 50 gpm well where the neighbors were unable to find anything over 1-2 gpm at a few hundred feet deeper.   She'd never even tell me how she did it though.

Well, she's been dead 12 years, so I don't expect a reply very soon.

• ?

There's nothing to learn. Dowsing has been tested endlessly. If fails every time, it has no rational mechanism of action, and it has never been shown to be anything more then the ideomotor response.

I'm seeing some very disappointing answers here (Tom). 

• Tom

Yes---Its just a matter of finding the the correct "balance" between holding the stick/rods in the neutral "position" and your mind being "disassociated" enough not to consciously move it---- You maintain position by your internal "Sense of position" that tells you where your hands are without looking---But you DO have to look to see where the rods are pointing.

Remember, the rods only AMPLIFY the small motions of your wrists when the MAGNETIC environment changes, so you can see the motion.  The magnetism sort of "Skews" your sense of hand position and you subconsciously "correct" it to maintain your neutral position---which causes the rods or stick to go off balance----indicating a magnetic anomaly corresponding what you may be looking for.

You can find water aquafers , buried metal, places where holes had been previously dug, etc---The same thing the high tech magnetometers, used by Geologists and archeologists, use for minerals ,  grave sites and post holes, etc.-----Many street and highway workers use Dowsing to find buried pipes and cables, and graveyard workers use it to find unmarked graves.---No magic here, just obscure Science---these things change the local magnetic field---and WE humans, like most animals are sensitive to it---We just need some help with a TOOL that indicates our response--Like dowsing rods or sticks.

If it didn't work, we would not use it.   Dowsing was one of those ancient things we did not know how it worked until modern times---Hence the "air" of "magic" and superstition associated with it.

edit: I have found several graves for our historic group when we restore cemeteries.  My best accomplishment was finding the mass graves of 32 victims of a 1900's tornado--The Cemetery people had forgot where it was and called me.  I never did A mass grave before, so I did not know what to expect.-----Turns out, I found, they were buried in separate holes 8 across by 4 deep, on the far back end of the graveyard.    The SCIENCE here is that the ferrous materials in upper layers of soil are leached out  by rain and weather.  Digging a hole and refilling it brings the iron bearing soils to the top and alters the magnetic profile of the location.----Archeologists find Post holes and graves the same way but with magnetometers.

• ?

Your question is not clear enough, so tell your grandmother if she used the fortune-telling, then, come here, and add more to my answer, and I will tell you more! OK!

• It's disappointing to learn that there are silly old men who mislead children into thinking that dowsing is a real thing. 

If you want to dowse just walk around with two sticks held in front of you and every now and again wiggle them about and proclaim that whatever it is you are looking for is close by. Of course all you are doing is guessing but you might impress some ignorant observers by what they imagine are your paranormal powers. 

• Dr. NG

It is possible I learned from a pro years ago in a Maine Saloon. He was a proffesional well digger and I noticed his truck had "Dowsing" in bold letters on it's side. 

It seems many folks needing a well insisted on a dowser finding the water on their property. After a few beers and a couple dozen clams he and his helper filled me in. Dowsing was BS he told me and most drillers knew it, but business is business. It seems in Maine just about anywhere you drill you'll hit water. Wave a rod around find a nice soft place to drill and tell the customer that's the spot. He drills, a new well is born, money is made, and a customer is happy. By word of mouth dowsing gains credibility and woo-woo is passed on.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/21...

Edit. Nothing is to be gained by arguing with fools. Nothing can be gained by reasoning with ignorant people.

– Dr T.P.Chia

It's disappointing to learn that there are silly old women who mislead children into thinking that dowsing is a real thing when they could have been trying to get in their knickers like Satturette of liberty. The dirty female paedo with such a lot to say. 

A lot of kids would play in my garden with my grandchildren. One day, I mentioned dowsing to them and told them how to use the dowsing rods I made with welding rods. One at a time they had a go. I told them there was a buried drain in my garden and asked them to find it. Every one of them stopped on the drain when the rods crossed. I then asked them to look for water. Again, they all followed the same path as the water pipes. They were again right. Because of this, I would say, you are probably already able to do it but didn't know it. We have no clue as to how our brains work but I would think it is more the brain than the rods. It may be an ancient instinct to help us find hidden water to keep us alive. You Can watch documentaries of people finding things with these rods. The world has a small number of denialists who think the entire world is full of jokers. Everything is a prank to them. Go try it yourself

Edit! It's disappointing to learn that there are silly old men who mislead children into thinking that dowsing is a real thing when like me, they could be talking to them about vaginas and vibrators. One other thing children, I now know where my clitoral hood is and even found out that "I" was the daft tw@t for thinking UK answers didn't exist and not EG the cissy. Signed Sol the paedo One last thing, there is no such word as clairaudience, although I once said that about my clitoral hood

NG, who goes dowsing for water on soft ground? what does soft ground imply? I think you were sitting with a few more drunks that day and they were ripping the piss out of you. Hence more reason why that user asked for no Americans. If someone finds a productive gold mine, they don't tell every drunk in a bar where it is or write "we know where there's a gold mine, follow us" on their van Use your head. You also lied about finding water anywhere. Gary is back now so you can take your silly head off. Good answer Tom. 

EDIT! 

I'm strong to the fin-itch cause I eats me spin-ich.

Popeye.

I was curious about this because I've seen a number of stories that looked interesting, but this article has made me more skeptical -

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-s...

Case histories and demonstrations of dowsers may seem convincing, but when dowsing is exposed to scientific examination, it presents a very different picture. The natural explanation of "successful" water dowsing is that in many areas underground water is so prevalent close to the land surface that it would be hard to drill a well and not find water. In a region of adequate rainfall and favorable geology, it is difficult not to drill and find water!Some water exists under the Earth's surface almost everywhere. This explains why many dowsers appear to be successful. To locate groundwater accurately, however, as to depth, quantity, and quality, several techniques must be used. Hydrologic, geologic, and geophysical knowledge is needed to determine the depths and extent of the different water-bearing strata and the quantity and quality of water found in each. The area must be thoroughly tested and studied to determine these facts.