Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Will I ever feel the same after quitting opioids?

I know it's early because I've only been clean for 8 days, but I feel like I'll never feel better. I have absolutely no energy to ever do anything and I feel depressed and hopeless. I hardly have the energy to do the most basic things I need to do in everyday life. All I want to do is sleep and sit around. Could I feel like this forever or am I speaking too soon ? 

• J M

Recovery takes a long time. 

It’s hard to say. It depends on the type of drug, your particular brain and body chemistry, your age and a lot of things. I’m 65 now and the last round of psychiatric drugs, (drug ‘cocktail’) that I was given pretty much did me in. 

I haven’t taken any more of these drugs for 3 1/2 years now but a lot of the damage seems to have been permanent. I think this is even more possible because this last round of drugs they gave me happened when I was in my mid-50s. 

I’ve been through other periods in my life where I was on these drugs but I was younger and I think my brain and body were able to recover better.It’s hard to say.

I realize you’re referring to opioids as opposed to psych drugs per se but there is certainly some overlap there. Because both classes of these Big Pharma chemicals affect various organs in the body, various glands I imagine,  and they both definitely affect the brain. Which is perhaps the most concerning aspect of what these drugs do. 

The brain is obviously very important and the control center in many ways. I’m pretty convinced at this point that I have a certain amount of brain damage and an MRI I had recently seems to bear that out. And having even mild, acquired drug-induced TBI can cause apathy, lack of energy, depression, anxiety and other issues. That organ just controls so much.

I feel your concern and your pain and wish you well. Maybe you’ll be OK. Time will tell. In the meantime if you could afford to go to a naturopath or other type of alternative practitioner if you have the money or your insurance covers it, sometimes they can help with these issues more than mainstream drug and surgery-oriented doctors to. With alternative modalities such as acupuncture, supplementation, hypnotherapy, mindfulness training, meditation  and other things. 

And don’t forget good old-fashioned exercise particularly outdoors in the fresh air and Vit. D producing sunshine... particularly aerobic exercise I think is very good If you can, just to get that oxygen flowing back into your brain. I find that to be extremely important. 

Even though I’m almost 65 and it probably doesn’t seem ‘appropriate’ to a lot of people, rollerblading is actually my favorite form of aerobic exercise. Bicycling seems to really get my lungs going as well.

With the rollerblading there’s a learning curve involved and you have to make sure you wear the proper safety protection because otherwise falling can do a quite a bit of damage on a hard surface (Take my word for it)... but once you get better at it you can really get those lungs and muscles working, Your balance improves, and you get a lot of oxygen flowing into your lungs.  It’s also ironically actually easier on your joints than a lot of other exercises if you have any joint issues.  

I have a problem with tinnitus also since the damage from the psychiatric drugs, and I find when I get in a good session of very aerobic rollerblading the tinnitus actually goes away for a while. So there’s some kind of blood flow to my brain or other areas which seems to be having a positive effect on that. 

But whatever exercise you choose, it will likely help a lot. And exercise has also been shown scientifically to be beneficial for the regeneration of neurons in the brain. And neuron loss can often result from some of these drugs.

I find swimming in the ocean to be very therapeutic as well if you are near a body of water like that. Because all the minerals in ocean water and the stretching out of the spine and so on involved in swimming can really help a lot also. 

But try to do something. Whatever it is. Just get more blood going into that brain. It’s very important. I don’t know if I’ll ever feel the same as I did before I took these drugs, likely  not. 

And I am angry and bitter that the doctors that prescribed these drugs never warned me of the dangers. Otherwise I would have thought more than twice about taking any of them. They usually don’t warn people though because if they did very few people would take them and they wouldn’t be able to make a living. 

But I just do whatever I can to help myself. Just to stay alive. I am a father and I really want to be around as long as I can for my son. Otherwise I really wouldn’t care.  You have to find something to live for.Even if it’s just one thing. 

Something that injects some passion into your life and makes you want to keep going. Something to look forward to. For me right now it happens to be rollerblading for some reason. It’s not the only thing I know how to do, it but because of the issues I have from the drug damage it just seems to do something for me which I find I’m kind of addicting. The sense of gliding the movement the flow of it. I don’t know what it is. And you can learn different techniques so you keep growing with it.

So some addictions can be good. As opposed to the ones Big Pharma and mainstream doctors and psychiatrists profit from at our expense. 

Just do yourself a favor , Embrace Pain make it your new friend , crave that feeling. Pain that's all I want out of life  That should be your moto .If you're not feeling pain you're not alive Don't look for happiness , make it find you , And try to be hard to find . Someday down the road when you've slipped away and hid in all the unfindable places happiness will pop up and shout (( GOT YOU )) but until it does that ,remember your Moto .  

you are speaking wayyyyy too soon....getting off opiods is a horrible strain on your body...the opiods themselves have done horrible things to you---give yourself lots of time==lie around and sleep---eat healthy and drink lots of water---give yourself the gift of time and know this will be a long but important journey.  congratulations--you can do this.

After years of Vicodin for my bad back, the doctors had to wean me off because of the prescription restrictions they had to comply with for opioids.  Other painkillers and physical therapy went a long way but I've never gotten back to being completely without pain.  Unfortunately, it only masked the pain, which is there to tell you something is wrong, and my degenerative disc disease just got worse but I couldn't feel it.  Now I really, reaallly can feel it.  The main advantage is the opioids made me really constipated and now I can poop without feeling like I'm giving birth.

Find a distraction.  Do something physical to get your endorphins flowing.  Take up a hobby like knitting or beadwork to focus your mind on.  Give yourself time to heal.

• k w

take some Shaklee Alfalfa complex, they do work, I know I've taken them, no I don't make any money on it either....

There's a lot of things that can help with depression and I have advice from experts in my answers, but maybe the most useful thing I can tell you about is a book by someone who overcame dependence on opioid pain killers, a Johns Hopkins medical researcher - 

https://www.amazon.com/Pain-Bioethicists-Personal-...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/07/...

SMARTRecovery.org - it's like a brainy version of NA, ex-users who believe in psychology.

Pessimism is a symptom of depression. There's a sense that things will never get better. 

A lot of things can help with depression and there's a big advantage to having a professional who knows how to use them. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. You're welcome to click on my name and read. This has details about self-help based on cognitive-behavioral therapy and lifestyle choices that help with depression - nutrition, basic lifestyle things like sleep, exercise, and social support, also traditional Asian methods.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

My sister took opioids for pain for years, in increasing doses, then was forced to go cold turkey without any withdrawal help when the state cracked down on prescriptions.

She's told me that while the worst of the withdrawal was over in a week or so, she didn't feel her normal self until about three months later. She was tired, depressed, slept poorly, unmotivated to go to work, see friends, or do her usual stuff at home. (She was also in pain, her new drugs inadequate, which was certainly a factor for her.)

But it turned around event though it seemed like it never would. The way you're feeling will change, I promise.

For the short time, focus on self-care. First, do what you absolutely have to do, like show up at your job, get food in the house, wash and dress daily. Real basic stuff.

Then as your energy permits, add other things you should probably do soon, like pay bills, change the sheets and towels, wash some dishes, look at your email--but don't make it all chores. Get outside for a walk. Talk to a friend or family member. Make a meal that's healthy rather than easy. (Or both, of course.) Read something enjoyable.

You should be feeling somewhat better within weeks, and substantially better by mid-February or so.

• Lili

You've got a long way to go. 8 days represents no time at all.  When I quit smoking (which is said to be harder than quitting heroin), It took weeks to get past the initial crabbiness and months before I really felt normal.  I even had one last experience of nicotine craving at about the 6-month mark.

However, if you are feeling depressed and hopeless, that's a problem for which you should seek medical and therapeutic help.  Talk to a doctor.  Anti-depressants on a temporary basis might be a good idea, and in combination with them, talk therapy could be very helpful.

Don't worry, your weak and will probably relapse and all the pain will go away.