Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Does being indifferent to other people's opinions of yourself, entail a lack of interest in wanting to know what others opinions really are?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It might, but that doesn't preclude other possibilities.

• 2 months ago

What others think of me is none of my business, therefore I don't care what their opinion might be

• 2 months ago

Frankly, other's opinions of you do not matter. RuPaul, the drag queen said that other's opinions of him were none of his business, and as such, he never paid them any mind. This has always been my personal mantra. I cannot control what someone thinks of me, so I am not going to lose any sleep over it. 

Keep in mind there is a difference between an opinion, and a criticism. An opinion you cannot change, a criticism you should listen to and work on if needed as that is something you can change.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Other people can't have opinions of MYself.  They can only have opinions of THEMselves.

Only I can do something to MY SELF.

Only YOU can do something to YOUR SELF.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Not necessarily.  I find that is how psychologists tend to interpret it, though.  Indifference to knowing is not indifference to the thing itself, although it often is both at the same time.  What they think does not affect me, and what they think is nothing I care to know, are not the same things in detail. They often do go hand in hand, though.

• 2 months ago

not at all -- it suggests that the person's psychology either isn't oriented to opinions [half of men are this way] or that, for the person, only his/her own opinion matters [a small fraction of humanity is like this -- we frequently call it ego-centric].

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. You may be somewhere on the autistic spectrum, and lack of normal reciprocal empathy probably isn't your fault.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yeah, just don't care about it. Let it go and let it be.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.