What is the origin of the term "taking a rise"?

the Oxford English Dictionary dates the first use as in 1703 with a suggestion the term was originally Scottish - but I wonder how the term came to be used.

I saw it used in a 1923 book I am reading - "Whose Body" - by Dorothy L Sayers - and it reverberated with me as I have not heard it used in recent times.

Nowadays, I suppose folk are more likely to say "You're taking the piss" at least in my part of England.

Never heard of it.

It's still fairly common in the US as "get a rise out of someone" meaning to annoy or provoke them enough to get a reaction. 

That's also sometimes used as a show biz term referring to stirring up an audience, which led me to think it was like raising the dead. Probably wrong.

It probably comes from a fish rising up to take the bait.  More like 'winding you up' than 'taking the piss', which isn't necessarily intended to get a rise out of you.