odometer fraud? odometer discrepancy? rolled back miles? what to do?

I bought a 2006 Volkswagen. The car says it has 139k miles and I paid 2800. At the time that I bought it, the owner asked me how much we wanted to pay in state tax and we all said $500 dollars so we wrote $500 dollars in the bill of sale, on the title and I signed the title, by the time I get home I noticed that the title has an option where you put the car miles that say actual miles, miles in excess of mechanical limits and NOT ACTUAL- WARNING: ODOMETER DISCREPANCY, and this last box was highlighted. it had an x on "not actual- warning Odometer discrepancy", and I read the bill of sale too, and it also say it ma displayed, conditions,,,,,,,,,,, odometer discrepancy... ok I went to the DMV and they said that the the car had a lien from credit union,,,, so I asked the seller to help me get the document needed to remove the lien and I found out that the seller bought it from some other person, and it seems like that other person also bought it from another person or maybe from the original owner.... so here I am trying to remove the lien from the car so I go to run a Carfax to get more info about the car and I found out that the miles are off. the odometer should be at 200k or so and not at 139k miles. It means someone rolled back the miles. POLICE said it has to go throughout a civicl court... and also I was told that to charged the seller with this crimes, we have to prove he is the one that rolled the miles. what to do?? this car has been in multiple hands before me

You can not get some one for rolling back the odometer when they have marked the box that says "odometer discrepancy". It might not have been rolled back, it might of been replaced due to a failure of the unit.

The problem is getting the title cleared of the lien. Which might take some time.

As for tax fraud and the rest of the problems- get a lawyer.

• Dan B

It's not uncommon for people to buy a used car and never transfer ownershjip to themselves before it's sold again (it's called title jumping - not legal).  That's apparently the history of this car.  I don't even think you can register the car in your name because insurance companies won't allow you to insure a car that you don't own and you need proof of insurance to register the car.  You're probably out $2800.  Whoever took out a loan against the car is the one you have to contact to get the lien cleared (not likely to happen).  Inpect the title.  If the name of the owner isn't the same as the person who is selling the car, then walk away as they are not be the LEGAL owner of the car and have no right to sell it.  It is highly recommened that both the buyer and seller go to the DMV (or 3rd party office) to transfer ownership.  You are parting with your hard earned money and you must protect yourself.  If the seller really wants to sell the car, they shouldn't object.  If they do, walk away with your money.

The easy thing to do is nothing, because you would have a lot of info to prove and little to gain.  Unfortunately you did things in the wrong order. 

Use this experience to help you buy future cars, by doing research FIRST!

Just because Carfax says it 200,000 DOESN'T MEAN IT WAS 200,000.

- a mechanic will be able to tell you if it's more like 200,000 instead of 140,000.

But there is no way you can prove it.

Figure out how to get the lien cleared.

You overpaid for the car regardless if it's 200000 miles or 140000.

Now you know why an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Even if you were able to win in court, you would win $500 because you were a willing participant in tax fraud.

TMU does not mean miles rolled back. It means TMU. 

Is it even worth it for $500?

How could it have been in other hands if it has a lien on it? The DMV will not transfer a title even once if it has a lien on it. The lien is registered right on the front of the title jojo.

so you committed fraud ..now your complaining because you got ripped off !!..you did not do your homework ..you earned that motor ..bon chance 

ll you can do is go back to the seller and demand he reverses the sale as the car wasn't his to sell. Since you falsified the sale details for the tax you won't have much chance in a court, so probably you're well stuffed.

• Ian K

So, you pulled a little fraud, bought a car that is technically owned by a bank, and has odometer that isn't correct....

I'd try to get the lien sorted and drive it into the ground.

What to do? Stop being a dumbass, read and understand any documents BEFORE you sign them,  and stop buying crappy used cars for too much money without doing your homework on them or a proper pre-buy inspection. Epic fail. Expensive lesson.