Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

My coworker got fired?

She said they let her go because shewas only temporary, and they told her she was temporary on the first day. But she doesn't even work. She would always stand around and just talk to me for 20-25 minutes, and not even do anything, or pretend to do something, and I was like, "What are you doing?"

Is it really true when a company says you are only temporary? Would she still have been fired even if she was a hard worker and didn't stand around talking?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

they mightve just said that cause she wasnt working

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The word TEMPORARY usually means exactly what is said zxj

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Temporary staff are TEMPORARY and don't have the same rights as a permanent employee. (Annual leave/sick pay are two things they don't have) As a rule - hard workers are never sacked - they're too much of an asset to the company. If your co worker had had half a brain, they would have worked their butts off instead of standing around talking - and interfering with you and your work by talking to you! I've seen many temps offered full time permanent jobs because they've worked so hard.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Look up "Temporary Employment Agencies" in your area. Yes, they do exist.  Does it really matter?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

To truly terminate someone they have to violate a term of their contract. Meaning they need to do something directly written down that they said they wouldn't do or else get terminated; for example being late more than 10 times in a year, testing posative for drugs or refusing to take a drug test, assaulting a coworker or customer, etc. So long as they don't do that, they can be as big a jerk, lazy-bones, dumbass, or useless and in the way and not get fired.

Places that have a high turnover rate get around the "dumbass clause" by taking people on without the official paperwork for a little while like I mentioned, often called "temporary" or "probationary." That allows them to in fact dump your *** if you turn out to be a jerk or waste time, etc without worrying about the legal issues of terminating someone "without cause" as the law states, that law existing to try to protect people from being fired for being black, a woman, gay, etc.

• 2 months ago

Where I come from there is a difference from 'being fired' and being 'let go'. 

It sounds like they were 'let go' because the job was temporary. However good you are, if the role of temporary, the role is temporary.

• g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Some temp jobs are truly temporary, with a set end date. Others may start out as temp but are extended. It depends on the needs of the employer.

• susan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

When you are hired on a temporary basis, the company has no obligation to keep you as an employee. It's a good deal for the company, because maybe they only needed extra help short term and don't want to be hit with higher unemployment taxes for laying people off when the short term need has passed. 

But there's another thing that happens sometimes, where a company tries out a worker as a temp employee, and if the worker does well, then the hiring manager will offer them a job as a regular employee. If the employee performs poorly, as the woman in your example did, it is easy to let them go by using the excuse that they were only hired as a temporary employee.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Fiiiiish fish fish.My coworker got fired too, he sexually assaulted a coffee machine.

Attachment image
    Source(s): Big Fish For Big Men Store
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.