Can I make a mold of a custom sculpture somebody made me and make castings to sell? ?

I paid for a custom 3d printed shape of a character, an I able to legally mold and cast that character and maybe sell? Thanks 

• ?

The original design of the character is protected by copyright. It was breach of copyright to make a 3D printed copy of it without permission from the copyright owner. It would be breach of copyright to make further copies from a mould without permission from the copyright owner. It would not be lawful to do it UNLESS YOU own the copyright in the original design or have permission from the copyright owner.

You committed a federal felony when you paid someone to copy a copyrighted character without a license to do so. Anything after that is also clearly illegal copyright infringement. You can be sued for any public display of your unlawful copies, leading back to your co-conspirator who did your evil bidding in creating the 3D sculpture (derivative work) of a copyrighted character.

As a general rule, a contractor making a copy of YOUR copyrighted work does not thereby obtain any new copyright of YOUR work. Of course, if the copyright had EXPIRED, that's a whole different analysis, but you didn't suggest that was the case.

Source(s): 17 USC 506, 501; 17 USC 303, 17 USC 201.
  • ?

More concisely. You bought the print, you didn't buy the RIGHTS to the print. Just like a movie DVD, you buy one single DVD, not the right to copy and sell it.