My learner's permit expired in july and i am 19 years old, can i just get my license?

• car253

Depends what state you live in.  In California, yes, you can.

Without knowing the specific state/province/nation you are in, no one can guess.

Sure, no problem.  You don't even need to take the driving test, now that you're 19 years old.

If anyone tries to argue with you, just tell them I sent you.

Your permit needs to be valid on the day you take the test - it's just that simple.

You have to get a new permit and then pass the test. The driving test. Probably not written again. Unsure if you can do both the same day or not.  Probably depends on where you live. They may not be doing driving tests during covid?

Or maybe the person sits in the back?

• ?

Yes, once you have a valid, unexpired permit and pass the required tests.

• ?

If you can pass the written and driving test.

The learner's permit is only good for "learning" how to drive. It allows you behind the wheel as long as there's a responsible driver with you. It makes no difference when you go to get your license.

The only exception is that since you paid the fee for the learner's permit, some states will simply exchange it for a regular driver's license upon successful completion of the tests.

If you don't have the permit and can't prove that you ever had one, you would probably have to pay the fee again.

I lost my permit (put it somewhere where it wouldn't get lost) - 48 years later, I still have no idea what I did with it.

Nope. You have to get another permit first.