Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Who owns the Porch Light in our neighboring houses?

My Neighbor and my family haven't met eye to eye since they moved in, we live in what I believe is a Duplex type house. After the Landlord installed a new porch light, the security type that turn on when sensors spot something moving, lighting up the porch of our houses front doors, my family haven't gotten used to turning them on, and the on and off switch is in our house.

My Neighbor gets mad, saying it should be left on at night, saying it belongs to him too/ public own property, or at the very least, doesn't belong to us. My Dad got mad saying the switch is in our house and we have control of it, and probably paying for it too. The Porch Light is smack dab in the top middle line of our doors.

We turn it off when it's time to sleep, he doesn't have a way to turn them on.

Who owns it?

Updated 7 days ago:

I am thankful for the questions, I am ashamed to have thought of this. Were not good neighbors for a variety of reasons.

The lights have and will stay on, no need to cause anymore trouble.

• ?

the landlord owns the porch light.

The landlord owns the place so he owns the light. 

There is ZERO need for you to turn the might off when you go to bed because it is an outside light. Plus the landlord installed one that is NOT on constantly but only when something is there. Not everyone works the same hours, goes to bed the same time, etc... The cost of it is minimum. Don’t be a dick neighbor be a nice neighbor and leave the damn light on 

The owner of the property owns the light, obviously.

If there is one switch that controls the light and that switch is in your unit, then the light is drawing on electricity you pay for. The neighbor needs to notify the landlord in writing that they have no control over the light. You need to notify the landlord in writing that because the switch is under your control and you are paying for the electricity, if the landlord wants to remedy the issue to the neighbor's satisfaction, then the landlord needs to install a second light and wire a switch inside the neighbor's unit.

The proper thing to do would be to disconnect the switch to your unit and hardwire the light to the electrical system - for each unit, so that each unit pays only the electricity for their individual light.  Then, the light would come on as and when it is designed to and you would have no say in the matter.

The light is there for security of the building  --BOTH APARTMENTS--- it is not yours to turn off like a living room light.  It stays on.  This should have been self evident. 

As the landlord owns the building, obviously he owns the light. However, as the switch is in your apartment, it's a safe assumption that your electric bill is paying for the light that is shared by both parties. You might want to request a small rent adjustment for this.

The landlord owns it. 

Given that it's a security feature installed for the block, you should ensure it's turned on for the benefit of all properties, as presumably planned by the landlord.

• Judy

the landlord does.

The landlord owns it.

• ?

You sound a little self righteous and very young. It's convenient for YOU to turn it off "when it's time to sleep" but not everyone is exactly like you and has exactly the same lifestyle. If somebody works an evening or night shift, he or she may NEED that light to safely find his way to the door or across the driveway. 

You landlord owns it. I doubt very, very much that one motion sensing light adds much to your electric bill, but that's an issue to take up with your landlord. Your neighbor deserves light too.

I had a landlady who had a disagreement with my roommate, and had ALL the lights in ALL the common hallways in the building wired to our circuits. That was an issue.

The "owner" of the property owns it, so neither of you do.  However, it is located in your unit so you have full control over it.  If the neighbor continues to complain, tell him if he keeps harassing you about it, when you obviously have control over when it is turned on and off, you will report him to the landlord and if the harassment continues, you will report the harassment to the police.