Would it be weird to have corned beef and cabbage for Christmas dinner?

I know it's usually eaten on St. Patrick's Day but I really love it and was thinking of making it instead of the usual turkey or ham people usually do on Christmas.

No we in the UK had that for Christmas Dinner WW2

Corned Beef and Cabbage was started in IRELAND for St. Patrick's Day.

If it is made with good Australian corned beef.  You are in for a treat. If U.S. corned beef be best to just toss the corned beef out to the dogs. & not even they would fight over it. I also recomend corned beef & rice. As a breakfast meal. & a egg with a cup of our strong local coffee. There is fine eating. But OZI stile only. Not that U.S. stuff. 

Source(s): Love good Australian corned beef. But a different taste it is than that U.S. stuff.

Why even ask? Eat whatever you want to on Christmas day!! There aren't any food police around to write you a ticket for eating what you want! Seriously! LOL

When I was a kid, Christmas Day was SQUID. 

Far from the the weirdest thing one could do.

Pretty much the Corned Beef and Cabbage was started in the USA so not everyone has it for St. Patrick's Day. 

My opinion..It is your Christmas meal you make what you want to make 

I would go for a Brisket (same cut) and cook it slow and low.  Serve it as is or you can use a BBQ sauce if you want. 

You have what you want. There are no rules. My parents would always have lobsters for Christmas dinner, and since I hate lobsters I would have spaghetti. 

• kswck2

While certainly not traditional, cook what you want. And for leftovers? Chop up the corned beef and cabbage, add some boiled potatoes in a soup pot. Fill with beef broth, cook about an hour and package-corned beef and cabbage soup is delicious. 

It's your celebration so it's your menu. Go Irish!

• CB

Nontraditional but not weird. I have had whole filet mignon once or twice. A good meal is a good meal no matter what you serve.

• denise

No, it would'nt be weird, I like corned beef and cabbage too, but I think my husband & son would be a little upset, they like the traditional fare.

You can have whatever food you like for Christmas dinner.

There will be many opportunities to have the usual food over the holidays!  Enjoy!.