Is 113K miles too many for a 2005 vehicle?

I'm considering buying a 2005 Saturn stationwagon for $1299 that has 113K miles on it and needs some "suspension work." I really have no knowledge of cars/ mechanics, so I'm asking advice on whether or not I should buy this car. I like it because my last car was a Saturn stationwagon, but would buying this one be a bad investment or not? 

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Not too many....

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

113K miles is pretty low mileage

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

For a Saturn, probably yes. For a Lexus or Infinity, more than likely you have 200,000 miles left

• 2 months ago

The miles are good for the year, the price is about right.  

Have the whole car checked out by a mechanic including an estimate of the cost of the 'suspension work'.  That part could be virtually nothing, or thousands of dollars worth of work.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • fuzzy
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

The terse answer is that there's a reason they stopped making Saturn's, how many do you see still running around? They were generally turds. 

• 2 months ago

Dude...if you used to own the exact same vehicle why do you not know how they hold up?!

• 2 months ago

It's a 15 year old car for $1300= yes, it's a bad investment (overall)

But if all you have for a car is $1300 == it might be a great deal.

If you want a reliable car, you aren't going to get that for $1300.

If you want a car that will last you awhile this one might work.  We don't know the details.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Its very low. But suspension work could be very costly.  Saturns are not great but its only $1300.  You can't really expect much for that price.

I doubt the miles were rolled back.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, it's too few. You should be suspicious of its mileage having been turned back. Be sure to get a CarFax and require reviewing its maintenance history, specifically the receipts of all its oil changes and maintenance work. Another red flag is that's too low a price for a car with that many miles. A third red flag is it's price: $1,299. Genuine second-hand sellers sell cars for $1,200 or $1,250 or $1,300, not for $1,299. A price ending in "99" is a red flag that you're not dealing with a genuine second-hand seller but are dealing with a scammer. SO BE VERY LEERY AND GET THOSE RECEIPTS AND GET THE CARFAX YOURSELF, NOT ANY CARFAX THEY GIVE YOU (a CarFax will cost you $30 but it'll potentially save you hundreds and a mountain of heartache and stress, so it's $30 well-spent. Plus, it gives you a month subscription, so if you're in the market for a used car, you'll be able to look up any and every car you want).

HERE'S WHY:The CarFax will tell you how many times it's been bought and sold and whether it's been in any accidents that resulted in insurance claims and provide the mileage the car had at every one of those events. If the mileage was ever higher than it is now or if the mileage shown at a subsequent date is lower than at a previous date, you know the odometer has been hacked and the mileage lowered. So DON'T BUY IT!

The maintenance records are also important for the same reason. Every time a car has work done on it, the mileage is recorded on the receipt. So look at all the receipts for all its oil changes and its maintenance. Make sure the mileage always increases chronologically and never shows an amount higher than now. Also, be suspicious if they do but suddenly stop before the mileage it has now but the date of that receipt was years ago, because that means the seller is not giving you the more recent receipts because they show it had higher mileage and that they had the odometer hacked. Do NOT BELIEVE the seller when the seller says that he has no receipts simply because he started working on the car himself or says he has no receipts because he lost them. That's what they always say. That's a red flag. Plus, the seller could've easily gotten any lost receipts replaced by going to the places where he got the work done and asking for duplicates. The reason for missing receipts is always mileage fraud on a car with such a low amount of miles for its age. So DON'T BUY IT!

Finally, the last thing you should do before buying the car if you don't see anything conclusive from the CarFax or from the maintenance records is to ask the seller for photo ID and compare the name on the photo ID to the name on the title and on the receipts going back at least a year. What scammers do is buy a car but ask the seller to not date the title to give them more time to title it, which seller's too often agree to doing, then by not signing the title themselves, they then pretend they're that person selling it to you, that they just signed the title just before you got there, and then manage to sell the car to you without you knowing who they actually are, nor does the person on the title know who they are because they either didn't give that person their name or gave them a fake name. With the undated title signed over by someone else that isn't then, they then hack the odometer and roll back the miles, polish the engine and detail the exterior and interior to make it look nice, and sell it for much more than they bought it for but for far less than it should be worth given how few miles it has and how polished it looks. Saturns are particularly prone to this because they're made of plastic and so don't rust, their bodies often looking far better than what you'd expect of a car that old, which makes a hacked odometer with lower miles on it become more convincing. Checking the photo ID of the person selling it and comparing it to the title and the maintenance receipts, if you find it doesn't match or if you find they refuse to show you photo ID, DON'T BUY IT!

I have to say that I'm HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS of this deal. The price ending in $99, it being a Saturn (a favorite of scammers), the mileage being so unbelievably low on an economy car whose purchasing demographic drives more than any other demographic such that it should easily have at least twice those miles, and the price being low for the stated mileage (i.e., a deal too hard to pass up because it's too good to be true, and probably is as that's almost certainly not really it's mileage given all the red flags that are popping up everywhere). 

By the way, another red flag is a clean engine. If you look under the hood and it looks bright and shiny, the belts and hoses gleaming, that's a red flag. A car that old should have a dusty engine, should have 15 years of dust on it. Unless it's some antique collector car, which it's not, the ONLY reason for a seller, especially the seller of a 2005 Saturn with supposedly only 113K miles on it, to clean the engine is to make it look newer than it is, make the belts and hoses look not as worn out as they are, and to get rid of proof of leaking valve covers and other fluids leaks. No regular second-hand seller of a car for only $1,300 cleans the engine. What you want to see is an engine that hasn't been cleaned, an engine where it's all dusty and dirty and so you can readily see that there are no fluids leaks or caked up oil on the engine block from leaky gaskets, which it definitely shouldn't have if it only has a 113K miles on it. So if you crack open the hood and see a clean, polished engine with shiny belts and hoses, know that what you're looking at is a crime scene that's been thoroughly cleaned up. Don't make yourself a victim of that crime. DON'T BUY IT!

• GA41
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I have driven cars with 250,000 to 300,000 miles.  If they were well maintained, a 2005 saturn with $113,000 may be a bargan at 1299.  The suspension problem could be a concern if it means the vehicle was wrecked.  I would advise you to go to kelly bluebook and put in the make, model, year and condition.  They will tell you how the vehicle should be priced.  I'd also advise having a mechanic tell you how much it cost to correct the suspension problems.  It would be great if the seller could produce some maintenance records which indicate it was well maintained.  However, $1299 is not much to pay for a car if it is in reasonably good condition.  If it is priced well below the blue book value, it would indicate either the owner doesn't know the worth of the car, or there are some serious problems with the car that he is not telling you.  "Let the buyer beware".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.