Was sold a lemon?

4 weeks ago I broke down on my way home to California and bought a car in Texas.  During test drive the check engine light was on and I was told not to worry, they washed my car and "erased" the problem.  I get to California and the check engine light turns back on 3 weeks after and I find out the vehicle has a recall and some serious engine problems.  The dealership doesnt want to help me fix it, the extended warranty I purchased from the dealership doesn't cover it apparently and I couldn't even trade it in to another dealership. I do not want to keep this vehicle nor keep making payments on a lemon.  What can I do?

FYI: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Update:

It also has cylinder misfires which if they worsen, I would have to replace the engine.  The vehicle gas already been diagnosed at a Chevrolet dealership in California.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Read your extended warranty. It would be unusual for it not cover engine and transmission problems. They usually don't cover normal wear and tear items.  You really should have had it checked by a mechanic in TX. Live and learn.  You could file a complaint with the attorney general's office in Texas. You are, however, stuck with the payments. The bank doesn't care whether the truck runs or not.

• 2 months ago

make lemonade................

• RICK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Recalls are fixed free no matter the age of the vehicle.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Rather than waste your money in an extended warranty with a million get out clauses, you should have purchase the optional legal aid insurance with your car insurance.

It allows you access to lawyers at no cost. The other side soon backs down because their lawyers costs and a day in court , will cost more than fixing your car.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Misfires can be a minor problem to fix sometimes. Pull the OBD2 trouble codes and let's go from there. The codes will tell where the problem is and what parts to test to find the trouble. Recall work is free, but you have to take the car to the service center for the work to be done. Next time you fall into a desperate situation like breaking down in the middle of a journey, call a friend for help instead of buying a vehicle that already has trouble. For your information, erasing the code does NOT repair anything. My feeling is that the salesman took very bad advantage of you. What did you do with your car that broke down? You could have it shipped home for about $1000, but it still needs fixing. Then you'd have 2 broken cars. I'm glad, at least, now you're asking for help before things get worse.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

arent the laws different in california compere to texas , noise and pollution laws ..!!!!

• 2 months ago

CARS all work about the same exact way if they re FUEL INJECTED! GM makes the WORST IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE in the world, they ALWAYS fail or get loaded with sludge and tar! It ALSO depensdmostly on the OIL that you are using! SOME< like VALVOLINE are PURE JUNK OILS made from the cheap WAX REDUCTION METHOD! NO factory on earth wil use it, but everyone tends to think of it as THE oil to use! NOT SO!>>> you can save yourself EASILY HERE< by buying a can of AMSOIL POWER FAOM and use it to RUN through the PCV system, the INTAKES and physically clean the THROTTLE BODY on BOTH plates (OPEN THE T BODY to expose back side) and the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE that has an ELECTRICAL connection! The COMPUTER reads the O2 signals and tells the IAC to add MORE or LESS AIR to the injected fuel! BTW>>>> there is NO SUCH THING anymore as a "GAS PEDAL" > it is only the AIR PEDAL! You add AIR with your foot, and the injections follows suit. SO pumping the AIR PEDAL does nothing but exercise your FOOT! There is NO ACCELERATOR PUMP Like on a carb powered engine. >>ALSO using PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM will get you a warranty out to 500,000 miles! And REMOVING The factory AC DELCO PLUGS and installing a set of DENSO TWIN TIP IRIDIUM LASER plugs will get you MORE power and MILES per GALLON and LOWER your emissions! IRIDIUM reacts with modern LOW SULFUR EURO style fuel to keep things CLEAN and efficient. >>>>MISFIRES are caused by a FEW things>>if the fuel/air mixture is TOO LEAN< this can happen! If you a re using a CHEAPER Battery, this MAY happen as well! Use a FACTORY battery or an INTERSTATE or a DEKA battery that test out GREAT! The BEST batteries STILL HAVE SIX cell caps to service it!. ON a GM CAR the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE that is FULL of sludgy tar will NOT be able to respond to COMPUTER signals and the results is a LEAN MIXTURE that triggers this response. AMSOIL POWER FOAM is the HERO here! It will clean these items to SHOWROOM CLEAN and I also use it to remove ENGINE SLUDGE along with a bit of GUNK ORANGE ORIGINAL cleaner or LIQUI MOLY SLUDGE remover! USE GUNK to clean your ENGINE BAY at a DIY car wash while there is STILL some WARMER weather. Clean the space BEHIND the radiator where leaves, twigs, feathers and ROAD KILL have collected for YEARS Now! This will also get engine to run COOLEST and keep the engine in proper operating temperatures! GOOD LUCK and you should have bought a FORD F series truck! GM wastes FUEL constantly! and the BRAKE LINES always ROT OUT before their time CHANGE your BRAKE FLUID to help save money in the long run! LOL! It AMY be a good idea to just REPLACE the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE. THe yare NOT very pricey! The use of WAX REDUCTION ( read CHEAP) oil ALWAYS make acidic vapors that clog up engine sensors! This is WHY we have SYNTHETIC OILS that last four times LONGER! Amsoil makes oil for EACH part of the world that makes cars. OEN for EURO; one for DOMESTIC: one for ASIAN> Does does TOTAL ENERGY OIL. The BEST SYNTH oil will make ZERO harmful acidic vapors and will actually CLEAN your sensors instead of corrupting them with HOT TAR and WAX and VARNISH! >>>CLEAN is the NAME of the GAME!! MISFIRES will NOT ruin the engine but in the LONG RUN a bad IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE will cause DAMAGES to converter and O2 sensors, too! IF you can document the use of PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM by saving receipts your engine warranty will extend to 500,000 miles! NOONE can beat THAT! IT is NOT made from CRUDE OIL< it is made from NATURAL GAS and CLEANS with every stroke! 

• 2 months ago

You bought a car with a check engine light on without having it checked by an independent mechanic.

-- buyer beware, you didn't bother.

Any Chevy dealership will fix the recall issue for free.

You need to review you extended warranty to see why it won't cover engine repairs. 

You can trade it into any dealership who will take it.  Getting enough that your loan is paid off, is not likely.

• 2 months ago

Most states have a lemon law so get a lemon law attorney or someone that deals with lemon laws. 

Check with the better business bureau and see if there have been other complaints about the dealership selling lemons. 

Did you check carfax to see if it’s been in a major accident. 

• Barry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

No. You BOUGHT a lemon. It is said 'a fool and his money are soon parted'. You are stuck with a situation you willingly walked into. Having explained this, which you already know, your only sensible option is to find a decent mechanic to fix your car. You are committed to paying for it so any other option doesn't really exist. The check engine light may only be a faulty sensor. Recalls are free. Any other issues you haven't described.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.