What should I do about a store that delivered but didn't install a new gas stove?

The delivery crew unloaded it in the driveway and took off. I'm an old lady living alone and can't even move it inside let alone install it. I assumed when I paid for delivery they would also hook it up. It's a gas range, so just can't be plugged in - needs to be connected to the LP gas line. It's going to rain soon and I'll have a wet cardboard box wit the new stove sitting in it. Tried calling the store, but of course, get a busy signal all the time.

You should carefully read your sales receipt so you know exactly what you paid for. If you paid for installation, they should hook it up. If you paid for delivery, then you got it delivered. They absolutely should have put it in your kitchen, or wherever you asked them to put it. When you get something delivered, you assume they will bring it inside your house. If you order furniture delivery, they put it in the room you requested. They don’t just dump a brand new couch on your front lawn. If I were you, I’d keep trying to call the store and tell them what happened. I think it’s incredibly unprofessional for them to just leave it outside, but don’t expect them to install it for you unless that’s what you paid for. If you can’t get them to send someone to bring it inside for you, try asking a friend for help. Then hire someone to install it. You can also leave a review of the company. Next time, you should know exactly what you’re getting. Don’t just assume that delivery includes installation. 

Since the onset of Covid many appliance stores will no longer allow their workers to enter into customers homes out of concern for liability, both for the workers and for the customers.  As others have said check your receipt. There is no excuse for them not answering your calls, if possible travel to the store and seek out a manager to speak to in person.

If you have an old shower curtain or anything else that will repel water put it over the box to protect your stove  until you can arrange  installation, perhaps a neighbor can help you at least get it into your garage or next to your house to make it a less attractive target for thieves

Source(s): 40 years construction experience

In my location, gas appliances must be connected by a plumber who has a special gas license, or by the appliance owner [or his/her family and friends].  thus, a new gas appliance does NOT include connecting it -- this service must be hired separately.  When my niece had it done, it cost $98 [US].  She had to supply the required flexible gas line as well [it cost another 30 odd dollars.]  -- grampa

Your problem is that you ASSUMED.

I've bought a few appliances and delivery and installation were all separate AND had separate charges that were discussed at the time of purchase.

But you are probably just trolling...

You should never assume that delivery also includes installation. You'll probably have to keep trying to contact the store and ASK for installation--for which you may pay extra. OR you can call an appliance repair shop and ask them if they can come and install it for you. OR you can call a handyman.  Unless you call a professional, I would not trust anyone who did an installation that hadn't been checked by your gas company afterwards, though. Do this soon. 

• garry

are they suppose to , thought you need a repairman to replace the stove , the store only delivers , not install .!!!! you paid for delivery , not installed , did you ask them about installing ....

• ron h

Major appliance delivery commonly means drop off in front of your house.  If you've got an accessible garage, they'll likely put it in there for safekeeping.  If your receipt says "delivery," call a handyman and have it installed.  If if says "installation," drive to the store if you have to.  You should get what you pay for.  It's always nice to get more, but you should get what you pay for.   BTW, when you DO pay for installation, it's common for the company to haul away your old appliance--if that was not discussed, it's not likely that installation was included.   Find a friend or neighbor to get that off your driveway or it may not be there in the morning. 

If the store doesn't answer go in person. They're not going to want an unhappy customer around other people that are potential customers that may be in the store looking to make a purchase. Im sure they'll get someone back out quickly! Good luck

• drip

Keep calling the store. 

If you can take a photos of the stove outside. 

Most times delivery and hook up are two separated orders.  The guys that delivered don’t have the expertise to hook up the stove. You needed to arrange that 

In my area a plumber had to hook up the gas line. 

But they should have brought inside the house.

I have never of such a delivery that wouldn’t have required your signature.  

Sit down with a cup of tea and just keep calling until you reach the store. Tell them a NEW stove needs to be delivered and put into your house.

• Tavy

Try your neighbour and a gas fitter.

Do you have friendly neighbors?