Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Is it a good idea to give a pet cat as a present?

It's a christmas present for my gf. I hope she likes it. I already paid a reservation fee to the breeder. It's a male russian blue. What do you guys think?

• Maxi

It  is never good idea to buy a pet as a present for someone espeically if they are unaware of it and the worse possible time to introduce any new pet is at Christmas

Are you sure she is not allergic to cats?  Are you sure she wants the responsibility of caring for a kitten--up to $250 in initial veterinary care from needed shots, neutering, etc.  Plus purchase of litter box, litter, kitten food (both canned and dry), water bowl.

Never purchase from breeders, most treat the mothers horribly, kept in constant pregnancy, churning out kittens until their health fails.  Shelters are filled with kittens and older cats needing forever homes.

• ?

Yes I'm gonna give my cat a Christmas present, because I want to

You never ever give a  pet as a present, she may not even like cats, to get a pet you have to be prepared, with all the stuff that a cat needs, food, toys, litter box  etc, and then there are vet costs, when the cat is neutered and for any illness or injuries that a cat gets, and they all get ill at some time! so find another gift for her, not a living creature, and one final point, she may not even be allowed pets where she is living!

why the **** would you buy from a breeder when you can adopt? adopt don't shop. also you shouldn't give animals as presents because they aren't "things".

• *****

Unless she specifically said "Get me a Russian Blue cat/kitten for Christmas", this is a HORRIBLE idea. Tying someone to a 15+ year commitment is an extremely inconsiderate gift. 

Youre foolish for buying a cat from a breeder.   Theres plenty of grey colored cats at the shelter.   They pratically give them away for free

Pets in general make terrible gifts. Unless she has specifically said that she wants a cat and even more specifically a russian blue, do not get her the cat. 

• Eva

Did she ask for a cat?  It's usually better to allow someone to pick out their own pet so they can pick one that bonds with them.