Advantages and Disadvantages of Council Housing ?

I am almost 22 years old, Im still living with my parents and I am thinking about applying for council housing.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going on council housing? 

I have also got a learning disability.

• Maxi

The reality is you already have a home to live in and unless your parents are prepared to legally evict you it is unlikely you will even get on the list and even if your parents did and you managed to get on the list, it could be years before you are offered anything and even then it could be a room in an HMO

• Tavy

Sorry Charlotte you have no chance. Unless you are a single parent or disabled you won't get on.the list.

If you're not homeless or high priority, you can expect to be on the list for council housing for at least a decade; there's a chronic shortage. 

So the advantages? In 10+ years, you might get far up the list enough to get allocated a flat. 

The disadvantages? If you want to move out in the meantime, you'll need to do so under private rentals.