Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 2 months ago

You need to format the disk before you can use it. Is there a fix for this?

I have a 4 year old "WDC My passport Utra" 2 TB external hard drive that I use for archiving my files. When I plug in my PC last night, I got the message "You need to format the disk before you can use it".

This is my primary backup drive,and has all my info on it.Fortunately I have a secondary backup drive it does recognize, but I've lost a weeks worth of work.

Try opening a command prompt using run as administrator.

Then enter

chkdsk W: /R

but substitute the WD Passport drive letter for the W.

If that does not work, you will need to try a recovery program such as "Recuva", which is free from the makers of CCleaner.

Aso be sure you are using the correct (short) USB cable and in to a rear USB socket on the PC, if it is a desktop.

A too long / thin cable or the front USB sockets on many PC cases can restrict the power available to a hard drive and cause various problems.

Try the cable & connection first, if you have not connected it like that.

As has already been stated, your HD just cratered/crashed.

Something is wrong with the disk.  Either your disk hardware (the HDD itself) or the disk's interface has malfunctioned.  This is a serious job of troubleshooting.  Unless you are good working inside your machine, you need to take it to a repair shop.

• ?

the drive is corrupted. you need to format it, then use recovery software to try to get individual files back.

external drives are meant for backup, not for everyday use. you should always have a second copy of anything important...

in addition to the above, sometimes the basic data bits telling the format type on the drive becomes corrupted and a hard disk manager program can maybe repair that.

That message indicates that the disks on the external drive have become corrupted.  As Windows is not able to even determine the formatting of the drive it is unlikely that you can recover anything off it yourself. There are professional companies that may be able to repair the drive, but they will charge you a couple thousand dollars to do it.

• keerok

Corrupted files? Try using Recuva to recover your missing 2 weeks.