dizwar
dizwar asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

How many times does the word "great" appear in front of the word "grand", for a 1700s ancestor?

For example, "great-great-great-great"-grandfather / grandmother / whatever

Thank you all for your answers. BTW, I never give anyone a thumbs-down...I don't know who was the person that did it.

It depends on how close together the generations are. My father was three months old when his grandfather turned 80. He, in turn, was 78 when his youngest grandchild was born. So my niece, born in 1999, had a great-great-grandfather born in 1842. That's what happens when you are the youngest child of a youngest child of a youngest child of a youngest child. Your ancestral line can get pretty stretched out if you are descended from the youngest child in a generation. But in some families, where they start having babies in their teens, can fit 6 generations in a century.

In my case, from Third great grandparent onward.

One of mine is a 9 times great, her Mother was is Salem in 1692.  The average is 4-5 generation per century.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 60+ years

I had ancestor, Ebenezer Larkin, who loaned his second best horse to Paul Revere.  He was my great great great great grandfather, which I normally write 4Xgreat; he had 17 children.  Oddly, I had Austrian 4Xgreat grandparents contemporaneously, Andreas & Anna Hofer, who also had 17 kids.

It's easier to use numbers; 2nd great grandparent, 3rd great grandparent, etc.

the 1700's is a whole century. Just alone in that century alone there could be five generations.

• Maxi

That depends on how many generations they are from you

• Cogito

There's no set answer.  Some people had babies at the age of 16, some in their late 30s or even 40s.  

about 8-10, but it varies

• James

I guess it depends on how young the family has their babies