Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

My mom recently passed away.  I am the executor of her estate.  I want to give my sister a check for her share of the estate.  ?

My sister insists that she will only take cash.  She will not take a check or a wire transfer.  How should I pay my sister her share of the estate?   I do not feel comfortable paying her in cash.  Thank you for your answer.

Money is money- pay her in $2 bills and $1 coins.

• John

Many answers that I didn't read. But one said the real answer. After probate you write her a check against the estate's bank account and give it to her. She is welcome to go to the bank and cash it just like a big girl. If she can't behave like a big girl that is not in any way your problem. 

You need the check so you, as executor, have an audit trail.

• L

Just tell her there is NO WAY you're going to give her cash..........it's either a check or wire transfer only if she wants any at all.

• DON W

Sounds like she has a reason she wants it in cash that you don't know about.  Maybe she owes money to the government or to a creditor, or has a spouse or SO who would grab part of the money if it showed up in an account.  Maybe she thinks it will be taxed.  Maybe she's been refused bank services due to past mistakes.  Whatever her reason is, you don't have to meet her demands.

• (A)

Its non taxable so wire it into her account.

There is absolutely no reason to give your sister anything EXCEPT a cashier's check. If she can't deal with it too bad. Her request is ridiculous and inconvenient, and depending on how much her share is, you may not even be ABLE to get that much cash. 

The bank can transfer the money to her account as well--and she can then withdraw it and get her cash if she's still being an idiot about this--but SHE will have the same problem. 

I find this utterly bonkers. What does she intend to do? Carry around a package of thousand dollar bills?

• ?

Wow, such entitlement. Guess she doesn't want the money then...

For starters, you cannot give her a dime until the estate is settled. Probate must be cleared and all estate debt paid before any estate assets can be distributed.

If you don't know this, then you need the services of a good estate attorney, yesterday.  When the time comes to distribute any money, mail her a check drawn on the estate account that you need to open. She can cash it, or not.

• zipper

Go to the bank and have them issue a check to her; and send it to her. This way you can prove that she got her shair. Cash she could take you to court and collect twice. Use either a Bank Draft or Bank Check.  She may be trying to get out of inhertance tax, if she does you could wind up paying it twice!  So give her a check and the hell with what she wants! This way "U" have solid prof she got paid and leaves you off the hook, if she tries to cheat the IRS!   CHECK! CHECK! CHECK!

• ?

YOU are in-charge, not her .............................