wave
wave asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 3 months ago

How do builders/ carpenters typically attach nosing?

I have some nice oak nosing that I want to attach to the corner of some interior walls I made but I don't want to damage the decorative nosing. How do you attach this with screws or thin nails or something else? Glue? 

What you are describing sounds like corner protection. That is fixed with high grab adhesive. The ratio of glue area to the size of the strips is usually quite high so that it holds with just that, and maybe a bit of painters tape until it goes off. 

You must be talking about corner mold. Bull nose is for stair steps. Anyway I would drill pilot holes to avoid splitting oak, use long trim screws.Stay away from edges and always try to hit a stud. Another option and best looking and the easiest is a trim nail gun, again you must hit studs. Trim installation is not for the impatient. A good trim guy learns  how to avoid problems before they get out of hand. That takes experience. The reason Im not a big fan of glue is if it dries out or the house shifts and the trim bulges what then. Good luck, Grampa B

• Barry

Use a high grab adhesive using a skeleton gun. Solvent free is best as any excess can easily be wiped away with a damp sponge. Solvented adhesive is a pig to clean up.

nosing are normally on stair treads ..the projection ..rounded ..in a corner of a room?? ..no damage way is these superglues held in place by tape till dry