Is my son (14) watching pornography?

I don't watch television anymore, and when i do its either the news or food network (Lol yes, i watch food network in 2020..) Although my son wanted a tv for his birthday and has wanted his own tv for awhile, so after about 2 years or so me and my husband decided to buy him one for his 14th birthday. I checked in on him sometimes just to make sure he's not doing anything he's supposed to, and everything was fine for about 5 months, at some point i stopped checking on him since everytime i checked on him there was nothing bad happening.. And that may of been a mistake. Earlier today i walked in on him watching a cartoon.. It had very crude language with characters saying "r*tard" and making very racial jokes.. I didn't say anything to my son but a few seconds later the cartoon cut to a different scene of 2 men having gay sex on a bed.... He looked shocked and panicked and told me that its his first time seeing this cartoon and didn't know this was part of it. I don't know whether to believe him or not.. I looked at the tv guide and it said it was a show called "South Park".... Can anyone help me? Is this pornography?

South Park is trash.  No idea about a porn scene in it, though.  I'd research that.  It does, according to articles online, have a LOT of homosexual content.  Not suitable for a teen, in any case.  I'd recommend putting in parental locks, if possible.  Also on any computer he uses.  No, that is NOT an invasion of privacy, before anyone claims otherwise.  Children and teens do not have enough judgement to know what's safe and what isn't.  Having a serous talk with him about the very real dangers of porn wouldn't be a bad idea, either.  Even if he didn't know, and wasn't planning to watch something like that, he's seen it now, and that has to be discussed.  Is there a chance someone recommended the show to him?

Troll............................

There are many television series that are inappropriate for young teenagers today. I wouldn't exactly call a cartoon series pornography unless it shows explicit images of nudity and graphic sexual intercourse.

You are fortunate that your son doesn't watch some of those explicit porn sites that can easily be viewed on the computer and other tech devices.

It is alright for your son to be taught by gay teachers at school but I doubt you will see many ordinary heterosexual mature adult men working with preschool children and in kindergartens in your local area. 

• Jake

probably most boys do

I smell troll. 

Its not pornography.  Its a very crude cartoon for adults only though.

Yes, if you have a 14 year old son they are watching pornography. Get used to that idea now for when you inevitably catch him actually watching pornography.

South Park is not porn.  But it is a cartoon with adult comedy that is fairly racy even by adult comedy standards.  However it also contains some very sophisticated social satire.  

If you think your son is mature for his age in terms of being able to handle and understand adult material, then let him watch it.  But different kids mature mentally at different rates.  Only you know your kid.  

The fact that he was embarassed by you discovering him watching tells me that he knows you wouldn't approve, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't handle it, it might just mean that he thinks you can't handle it.

This is one of those times when you need to be able to talk to your kid like an adult.  If you haven't started treating him like an adult by 14, maybe now is the time to start having adult conversations with him and showing him that you trust him and respect his opinions, even though he is still a minor and needs to respect you as a parent.

It’s not explicit like you might see in Japanese hentai. They do show the thrusting motion but you don’t see any cartoon genitals. 

South Park is a cartoon show that became infamous for its profanity and dark, surreal humor that satirizes a wide range of topics towards a mature audience. Its not porn but does contain sexual themes.