Anonymous

Is it reasonable to ask an employee to sweep for an entire 10hr shift?

I hurt my hand at work. My regular job is to carry/move boxes that require both hands. There are other tasks that can be done one handed- easier tasks even- but for the past several days, they've been making me sweep the entire warehouse over and over with a dust mop, continuously through my shift (with the exception of two breaks and lunch). 10hrs of sweeping. Several other employees have said they think this is a retaliation for getting injured, especially since my job was production pay, and I'm only getting base rate for sweeping. Any thoughts?

Just to clarify for everyone: I did in fact get a pay cut, that's kinda the whole point of the question. But I've quit now anyways.

• garry

yes as long as as they dont cut your pay , what do you think , your too good for sweeping !!! its called light duties , unless your medical has given you time off (workers comp ) .

• ?

You can ask to go on unpaid medical leave until your hand heals.

Or....

You can sweep.

• John

While it certainly wouldn't be the most interesting task, they are keeping you employed while you can't do your normal duties.  

It is cheaper to keep an employee on the payroll than it is to put them on full workers compensation disability in many cases.  So employers are encouraged to find some kind of work by the W/C insurance companies. 

There is nothing unreasonable in their requiring you tp sweep floors while you are unable to perform your normal tasks. It's unfortunate that you can't earn bonus pay although at least they have work for you. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get back those production hours soon.

• ?

It's reasonable if the employee can't perform his regular tasks. Suck it up and do your regular job or sweep the floors and quit whining.

• If that's the only thing you can do for now, and they don't know that there's other things you can do, then it's reasonable. Those who think it's a retaliation are being ridiculous. If it was an accident then it wasn't your fault, so they shouldn't retaliate. 

Let them know that there's other things you can do besides sweeping. 

When I got injured I pretty much made boxes all day (about the same number of hours as you), until there were orders that I could fill. 

• Tavy

They are keeping you in a job. Either that or you stay home with no pay.

Of course it is..........

• ?

Either that, or you go out on medical leave.  Ten days off before you can collect unemployment. To you have short term disability? They expect you to continue making your weekly payments. Or you can continue your light duty at the same rate you were getting for doing your job.