?
? asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

Why aren't comedy movies nowadays funny anymore?

lack of quality actors and actresses.

• ?

Two reasons:  Screenwriters are nearly an extinct species, and woke culture.  Combined, they spell disaster for the movie industry.

Screenwriters, the unsung heroes of film and TV, were hired to take a plot from a novel, play, skit or whatever and translate it into a series of shots and scenes for the screen.  They were paid to take 2 pages of written material about inner thoughts and emotions, and turn it into something the audience would recognize by watching it for 15 seconds.  Most screenwriters would start off in TV, then try to make the big money in movies, and it was a respectable job in Hollywood.

Then the early 90's happened, and 'reality' TV became the new trend.  Audiences went crazy for stuff like Survivor, Cops and Big Brother, and primetime was suddenly packed with similar shows.  That trend continued into the 2010's, and it didn't require screenwriters.  Hundreds if not thousands of them were permanently downsized, leaving an incredibly small pool of talent to choose from for movie producers.  Picture if Wal-Mart laid off 90% of their stockroom staff, and imagine what the shelves would look like a year later.

Then there's woke culture, which is absolute poison for the comedy business.  There's no room for any kind of humour in woke culture, because it might offend some 'oppressed' group or another.

Because there is no good comedians around!

I don't know if I truly agree with these people that the directors and producers are afraid to post sensitive or politically correct things or inappropriate things! (have you seen the movie Guest House starring Pauly Shore?! Now THAT is an example of "comedy" that I didn't find all that funny! In fact I rented it at redbox and I didn't even finish the movie! It's like they were trying to get away with doing soft core porn! This is the kind of movies that is NORMAL in today's messed up society unfortunately!

Compare that with movies like "Tadpole" or Dumb and Dumber ,etc!. They were funny but they never crossed lines! Not in the real bad sense if you know what I mean! They had taste! 

<> end rant </>

Source(s): 36 Asian Filipina

A mixture between having run out of ideas, using too much cliches and formula and being afraid to become ostracized with some jokes

Loss of originality and the fear that people might get offended because of stupidly sensitive people are nowadays 

I’ve noticed that too.  What is funny now? Seen any good/funny movies lately?  I guess it started with the MeToo movement.  Then, Black Lives Matter....then Covid....4 years of trump....

...But, Saturday Night Live has never been better/funnier.  (Thanks Lorne.  Thanks Dave Chappel)

....and, crazy cat and dog vidies are still very very funny.  Lol.

It's too many of the same people who make formula movies and re in it just for the money.  Adam Sandler and his whole clique.  They try too hard to make slapstick, stupid comedy.  Plus, they seem to think that in order ot be funny they have to swear every other word.  I love Melissa McCarthy movies but she says "f*ck" every other word.

• ?

All the best comics are gone, too old or past their prime.I wish it was the eighties again with the likes of Eddie Murphy, John Candy, Chevy Chase, Dan akyroyd, Steve Martin, Bill murray, all comedy gold.

Humour is very individual. So some movies that are considered very funny do nothing for me, while I might laugh at movies that others considered dull. 

I have noticed too that comedy movies have become very stylised lately, which annoys me. Rather than creating characters with depth, they work on cliches. I guess this is the result of the young Youtube generation now taking control of scripts and movies, and bringing that style across, which worked in the short format, but is a bit vacuous for the longer format. 

But remember, I can say "I don't find something funny" but I can't say "It isn't funny." It is only my experience, not reality.

One example is the Peter Sellers classic "Being there". The first time I watched this, I didn't find anything funny, but I found it a very profound movie. The second time I watch it, I found it hilarious.