Raegan asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

is my rat close to death? can it be cured? what is causing it?

my pet rat was fine this afternoon, i came back and she was lying underneath her water bottle and had some trouble moving, normally she is eager to see me, she is dragging her back legs, and her mid section seems to be soft and kinda of limp. she moves very slowly and is acting not as energetic as she normally is. and tends to keep going to the back of her habitat and in a more private section, she also cant seem to get comfortable. do you have any tips or reasons why she could be acting like this? thanks

Definitely take them to a vet.

One of my rats was doing something similar (dragging her back legs, sleeping more often than usual, not using her front paws to pick up food) and we ended up having to put her down since she eventually stopped eating altogether. Hopefully that isn't the case with your rat.

• PR

If you are truly concerned, take your rat to the vet. We lost a cat to "saddle thrombus", which also incapacitates the rear limbs. We did not know what it was at the time. I would call the vet.