Why is climate change a bad thing?

And please don't say sea level rise; 10 inches in 140 years is nothing, and I will just laugh at you.

Updated 5 days ago:
Updated 5 days ago:

Care to explain your position instead of calling me ignorant when you know nothing about me?

Updated 5 days ago:

1. We lose 2 animal species a year and discover 18,000. There are tens of millions of species.

2. Hurricanes are decreasing in both severity and number.

3. An inch or two makes storm surges minimally worse.

4. More precipitation is a good thing. Try living in a desert.

5. Complete lie, melting ice in the Arctic increases the strength of the Tropical Easterly Jets which will turn the Sahara into savannah. Both floods and droughts are decreasing. The weather is stabilizing from atmospheric CO2.

• 4 days ago

Where I live, Permafrost is melting.  It is usually pretty stable at -10C, but, the ground temperature here is now around -2C or so.  So, buildings on the ground warm it up to much, and they begin to sink.  I've paid $5000 to have it shored up already, and, it needs doing again.  The church I go to had it done in the mid 1980's, and it was done again last year, at a cost of $10,000 which we could ill afford.

So, climate change is costing people real money.  And, land slides have already blocked the only highway into the Klondike (about 2km from my house actually).  This was a fairly expensive clean-up.  The Dempster Highway needs constant work thanks to the unstable ground.

Yet there are still people out there that thing Climate Change is a hoax. Come up here (after Covid clears up of course!), and people here can show you the effects of it.

• 5 days ago

1. It wipes out relict species that were restricted to high altitudes when the glaciers receded.

2. We just set a record for the number of storms in the Atlantic, This will continue.

3. You may laugh at a 14" increase in sea level, even though it would completely flood some island nations and some coastal cities. More urgent is that even an increase of an inch or two makes storm surges more dangerous. Remember Katrina?

4. Some people think they're witty by saying "x inches of global warming fell on my lawn last night." They're half-right. In fact, the Great Lakes freezing over limits the amount of water that evaporates from them in winter, thereby reducing "lake-effect snowfall" downwind (east) of them. There has been a downward trend in winter ice, with a concurrent and related increase in snowfall downwind. This means more cost in snow removal, more traffic accidents, and more deaths.

5. Along with changes in temperature, we get changes in precipitation. Wet places get wetter (cf the Midwest seeming to flood every spring, now) and dry places get drier, hurting crop yields or increasing the costs of irrigation. This drives up the cost of living.

Get the idea?

5 days ago

If in fact the climate changed there would be as many positive things happen as negative things.. So learn to live with it if you notice it at all. The reason the positive isn't talked about is it doesn't scare anyone and they can't shake money out of you..

• kswck2
    5 days ago

Like the human body can heal itself, so does the earth. There is no climate change. Just an argument from people that want to sap yet more money from you into their pockets. 

5 days ago

You are too ignorant to understand educated answers.

You have a closed mind, that's why I call you ignorant.

Too many climatologists are raising alarms, to be totally rebuffed. They are not all 'paid by invested interested parties,' as conspiracy theorists commonly claim.

It is too serious an issue to not consider it as a possibility, even if you are doubtful.

5 days ago

The weather becomes more extreme and that causes more natural disasters.