Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

Is free speech a double edged sword?

We just got done having a president that proved that to be true!

Could be sometimes..

No. There is no free speech.

I love people who swear by their right to speak 'the truth' (NOT!) I've had two people say cruel things to me and others, all the while spruiking they cannot lie and insist they're 'just' being honest. On two separate occasions, these people pushed it too far for me and I snapped. I told each of them what other people were saying about them behind their back! Hand on heart, both cried!!  If you can't handle being told the truth yourself - zip it about your 'right' to speak your mind!!!

Only in that just as you're free to speak on your opinions others with opposing opinions enjoy the same freedoms. Because it clearly isn't free speech if only one set of thoughts is worthy of verbalization. 

There's a difference between free speech and hate speech, which is why people that spout hate always complain about their rights being abused when they're shut down. 

• Zirp

pretty much

Freedom to express an opinion is better. Propagandalies like "the holocaust never happened" or "humans come in races" are not opinions and don't need protection.

remember pizzagate?

People quote evil as having a tongue like a sword in the old testament, yet, it's said that near the last days Jesus will have a tongue like a sword, or so was John's vision. The truth about greed and how people sold out to Satan no doubt. It's not easy to take being told when you've accepted the desire of Satan even while you teach the world you are a disciple of God. I believe forgiveness will heal many of us tho, I just think people should understand that Jesus is going to forgive them for something they thought was righteous. 

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12)!

"CUTS" when one is in unrighteous beliefs as evidenced by today's Christians on Y/A who retaliate!

Yes

Proverbs 18:21— The tongue can bring death or life;

those who love to talk will reap the consequences.

Proverbs 12:18 — There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.

Psalm 52:2 — Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.