Why is circumcision mentioned so much in the Bible?

Why was it so important that the Apostle Paul kept referring to it?

Updated 5 days ago:

Is it a sloppy intrusion by male culture into a sacred text?

Updated 1 day ago:

Thank you so much Black Phoenix for your incredibly thorough answer to my question. You write as though all the biblical text is in your mind. The Holy Spirit must be within you.

• 5 days ago

“Shallowhale”, your focus is on the flesh, not the Spirit. Just as Christian believers today are to share with skeptics and sinners who seek new lives that release them from the operations of sin, the Apostle Paul was repeatedly challenged to explain what appeared as hidden connections among the operations of divinity through Jesus Christ and the earlier proclamations, sacred promises, and prophecies from GOD. Circumcision was granted to Abraham as a visible sign of covenant relationship between immortal, incorruptible, unseen divinity and mankind. GOD was to be acknowledged as more than an abstract Creator and Maker; divinity was to exist in continuing relationship through spirit process and substance imparted from the makeup of GOD that included balance, commitment, faith, holiness, longsuffering, lovingkindness, mercy for those found guilty in judgment, oneness without sameness, personhood, wisdom, and wrath against sin. The covenant of Moses that followed some 400 years later provided the divine presence through sacred law, identity as a sacred nation, and as a divine instrument to resemble, reflect, and reveal the character and likeness of GOD. By focusing on the law as the foremost of all divine blessings, many mistakenly rejected and refused to receive and embody an indwelling spirit that would remove the obstacles continued by finite flesh (e.g., appetite; mind; sensation; self-will (willpower) ). Consider again the following that uses language from the Bible:

(1.) Jeremiah 31: 31-37, King James Version (KJV): 31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: 33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. 35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: 36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. 37 Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

(2.) Galatians 3: 16-18, KJV: 16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. 18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

(3.) Galatians 3: 26-29, KJV: 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

There is far more that should be said, correctly examined, and spiritually apprehended. (For example, (4.)  Hebrews 10: 28-29, KJV: 28 He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?) Even so, I trust this fragment will be useful. Be it unto you according to your faith.

THE BLACK PHOENIX

Washington, DC

Source(s): The images of Abraham (left) and Jesus Christ (right) are shown together acknowledging the connection among the diverse covenants through Abraham, Moses, and Jesus Christ.
  • Paul
    4 days ago

Because it was a universal tradition of Judaism, and the Bible was written by Jews - the Old Testament by active traditional Jews, and the New Testament by Jews who had discovered Jesus Christ, and become Christians.

• 4 days ago

Early Christian billboards were said to look something like this: Join the Christian Church. You'll be able to eat pork and lobster and you won't have to cut off the end of your d***! 

• 4 days ago

Well, somebody decided it was a fast and easy way to make coin. 

• David
    4 days ago

Paul made it very clear that physical circumcision is not as important as the circumcision of the Spirit.

• 5 days ago

Well its jewish laws is why. I guess circumcission was a big deal

5 days ago

the Bible contains 66 books  written by approximately 45 writers  over a span of 1200 YEARS  its suggested all authors were MALE  ALL of the New testament was by males

what they al l have in common is  a PENIS since they are male

they see  their penis  from sunrise to sun set

or for some cultures sunset to sunrise PAUL  called himself the apostle to the GENTILES  see the COUNCIL of JERUSALEM  about 50 AD  early Christians  called upon the application  of mosaic law  to the NEW community  gentile converts  obligated to circumcise   a god requested  human covenant

5 days ago

phil 3.2 beware the evildoer who says you must be circumcised.

the worse the child abuse is, the worse the adults become. america has 75% of the world's serial killers.

• 5 days ago

It has to do with the covenant of Abraham and later reconfirmed at Mount Sinai under the Law of Moses or Mosaic Law - Torah. While circumcision may have fringe benefits or fringe disadvantages depending on how you look at it, Judaism considers it to be a commandment from God first and foremost. 

You don't have to like it or agree with it. But freeeom of religion allows us to practice circumcision. If parents can't do it in your country, they will go overseas to have it done or do it in secret. Many Jews throughout history risked their lives to perform this great mitzvah. 

If your parents don't do it then it is up to the person himself to get it done just as a convert without excuses has too. Without a circumcision a Jew is cut-off from God. He hasn't entered into the covenant of Abraham. All the blessings of the Torah do not come to him and he is not counted anongst God's people. Nevertheless he is still a Jew. Exactly how much is he allowed to partcipate in the Jewish community such as being counted for a minyan is up to the rabbis to determine. He is really in the same category as a Jewish Christian or atheist or practicing homosexual. 

In the same way a mute is in majority of cases not able to fulfill most oif the commandments so is the person who doesn't get circumcised. He might get some reward but not the same reward as if he had been circumcised. While he might do some mitzvahs without circumcision he is really transgressing the entire Torah. One who breaks the Sabbath is compared to someone who breaks all the commandments in the Torah. He is cut off from the Jewish people and his final destination is not having a place in the world to come. When we say it is like trangressing all of the commandments we mean that when it comes to good deeds and bad deeds, it doesn't matter how many good deeds you do ove rt bad ones, if you die without repenting from beimg cut-off you will not be forgiven in the next world either. 

This is also concerning mitzvah's which are not kareth. If you refuse on principle not to fulfull certain commandments or go about your life e.g. not davening the 3 daily prayers you can be totally lost to the Jewish people and have no reward in the next world, concerning this God says "They have broken My covenant" or rather they have abandoned God. This also goes with principles of faith. Those who deny the divine origins of the Torah like reform Jews and claim the Torah is just a cultural document of rituals and laws adding to our heritage and ethnicity will be denied a place in the next world unless they repent.

However in our times and those who weren't properly brought up Orthodox Jews and have been influenced by paganism and goyim mishegas, there is room for lenuency that they don't know better and on par with Jews brought up in idol worship or apikorsim i.e. heretics. It may not be their fault.

Faith means ACTION and BELIEF. If you believe in God you DO! The main thing is to repent of yours sins even ones you don't know you have committed or remember. God often rewards sinners in this world instead of the Next World who have no portion in the world to come.

Update: There is no link or correlation between serial killers and circumcision. Majority of Jews turned out just fine.

Psalm 119:115

Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
  • 5 days ago

Paul referenced it as a spiritual "circumcision of the heart" for spiritual Jews, Romans 2:28-29.  c.f. Philippians 3:3, Galatians 6:16.  It demonstrates an obvious contrast to the physical act.