? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

What does an apostrophe after a word mean? I know an S is plural and that 'S is posesive but what about just an apostrope mean?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If you say something belongs to a cat you say the cat's food dish. But if you are trying to say the food dish belongs to lots of cats you have to type the cats' food dish. That's when you put the apostrophe after the word.

• zipper
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It can mean that they forgot the S, or they hit the wrong key!  In English it means mostly nothing, but in French, Germany it is an accent mark, which we in English no longer use.

• 2 months ago

An inverted coma after an s indicates both plural and possessive usually a second party. parties' :/

Ps this is an apostrophe !

however hardly anyone uses the correct determinant.

;)

• 2 months ago

he boys’ team. (Many)

The boy’s hat. (One)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Don't you think it would have been a good idea to show us the word that bothers you?

If you mean an "s" followed by an apostrophe, that's a plural possessive.

My cat's tail = the tail of my cat

My cats' tails = the tails of my cats.

Does that help?

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

can be used in several ways like 's means plural . then there is can't , replaces the o in can not .same as the - in g-bye , easier to write than goodbye

• 2 months ago

An apostrophe after a word that ends in S usually is just an indication of the possessive. Example:  The Jones' family's car is a Lexus. Since the name Jones ends in S you can't put the apostrophe before the S, because that would be like saying the family's name was Jone. In that example, the word family uses the plural form of apostrophe-S and the possessive for Jones is Jones' . Not Jones's. 

• 2 months ago

An apostrophe after a non-plural word is likely there to represent an accent mark, like in a name such as Andre'

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

An apostrophe after a word shows possession:  the boy's books -- the books belonging to one boy; the boys' books -- the books belonging to more than one boy.

the "boy's" -- NEVER means the plural form of the word "boy"

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If a word ends in "s", you can make the possessive with"...s's" or "...s'".

The boss's secretary.

The boss' secretary.

Source(s): B.A. in English.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.