?
? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

Do foster children ever think that nobody wants them?

• ?

Their parents didn't want them, so they should be happy they got rid of their ( no good for nothing parents ) and hope a good family will adopt them.

Most do unfortunately

That would be what just about every foster kid thinks. Babies don't understand, but once a child gets to the place where they start understanding things, and get taken from their parents, (no matter how abusive the parent is) the child will generally blame themselves and wonder why they aren't loved and wanted. It is heartbreaking. This Youtube video is very exact in explaining what goes on in a foster kid's head and heart. Absolutely spot-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOeQUwdAjE0

Youtube thumbnail

Yes, they do. My husband and I have been foster parents for a few years now and most of the children we have had DO feel as though they are very much unwanted and unloved. 

They have either come out and told one of us directly or they have acted out in a way that I knew meant “I am going to reject you before someone else rejects me again.” It is very heartbreaking and my husband and I try to work with these children on their issues. It’s a cry for help and love.

Most children are in foster care due to abuse or neglect in one form or the other, so why wouldn’t they feel unwanted when the people who are supposed to care for and love them choose other things over them? There has to be repeated and established abuse before CPS removes them from their homes. They don’t go barging into a random home and scoop up children. Trust me, there are enough children who need placements as is without removing children from perfectly capable parents. 

• ?

I know everyone's thoughts at all times in the past, present and future. Now, what did you ask?

• edward

Some probably do think that.  But my parents want the young kids, they foster now that they retired.  

• ?

Of course they do! But then so do most children occasionally. Of course it can be very hard for fostered children; people don't give up their children because they don't want them on the whole. Most of them can't look after them due to family problems, their financial and/or living circumstances - or even due to a death. They mostly DO want their children, as do the foster carers, otherwise they wouldn't do it on the whole. A child who feels unwanted needs to tell someone! Indeed as many people as he/she can. 

You are not a child, so one rather wonders why you ask.