Should I go to the ER if I feel I can't breathe?

My asthma has been getting worse the past few weeks and recently it got a lot worse. I had to take my rescue inhaler 2-3 times a day. Yesterday and today I've have to take my rescue inhaler 5-6 times. I've been wheezing and coughing, I tried steaming up the bathroom, drinking coffee and taking Benadryl. I'm not sure what else I can do. I can't sleep because it is so difficult to breathe and propping myself up doesn't help.

If your asthma is not responding to inhalers then you need to go to ER right away for continuous nebulizer treatments with bronchodilators and steroids.  Do not wait until you go into status asthmaticus then getting intubated and being put on the ventilator.

• Tavy

Your family Doctor will help, it's not an emergency.

I would never go to the ER but that's just me.  If your asthma is really that bad your DR should have prescribed you a nebulizer.  

• Rick B

What time is it?  If this has been going on for two days, it is not an "emergency".  Go to your doctor and see if he can give you some treatments that will help or if he can direct admit you to the hospital.  If it is much much worse and you are hours away from your doctor opening, then yes, go to the ER.