Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 2 months ago

do most homes have mice or rats in them during the colder weather months? how depends or varies? what to do about them?

it seems like every year around this time (End of Oct. - Mid November) I always see a mouse or what recently i saw was a very large mouse,,maybe a rat? if so, how serious and how normal? what to do about it?

Not everyone has mice and rats. No. If you see even one, you have a lot more. 

They are seeking warmth and food. You are providing them. It's a good idea to call a professional pest-control company out to see where they are entering, and what they're eating. It's difficult to tell when you don't know what to look for--but likely, there is some entry point around your house that they are using--and they are obviously being fed with something in your house too. Calling in a professional will at least tell you where they are coming from, and why. You may not have to have the pros actually get rid of them, unless the infestation is bad--if they at least tell you where and how, you may be able to set traps, put out poison food, or block up their entry points--but first, get that evaluation. 

i been using poison blocks for yrs, i check them about 2 or 3 times a month,, they are eating them, just a few weeks ago a dead mouse died inside my wall,, omg smelled for way over a week. was horrible, but at least i know the stuff works. been using poison for yrs, and this is the 1st time one died inside the wall. hopefully its the last  lol

It is normal for rodents to come indoors when it gets cold outside. Finding where they enter and plugging up those entry points is key to keeping them out. You see. Rodents follow the urine scent along the pathway of other rodents, so entry points will be continued to be used, even if you trap or poison the ones that get inside.

It is best to pull out all the stops by using several methods to get rid of rodents at the same time. Prevent entry, traping and or poisoning them is key to exterminating them from the presence.

There is a YouTube guy who has a Mouse Monday channel to help you decide which rodent removal technique would work best for you.

Personally, I use my own home made poison..

An equal amount of Baking Soda, Flour and Sugar. I mix a 1/4 cup of each in a zip lock bag, then place some in jar lids around my basement. 

Every year prior to the seasonal changes i make a point to clean and bait traps for problem areas. I never have a problem but, the cold gets them running.

You need to check your house, under cabinets i clean and the daily look for mouse poop. Knowing what to look for and having decon poison and traps is key to ending the problem. 

I never have them in the house

The garage is a haven for them so no clutter, paper, junk...clean it up..look for poop set traps and poison out in high spots.

Its more work to get rid of them than working on keeping them at bay.

Some year i have none all year

• garry

rats and mice hate the cold , thats why they move inside a house for in winter , its warmer ..

• ?

Many of my neighbors have mice, they use traps and such.  I had mice twenty years ago when I moved in, I used poison. People say don;t use it in the house becouse they die in the walls. I did not have that result.  I also sealed anything that  they could possible use to get into the home,  I have seen them use 3/8 condensation lines to get up into an AC, so every hole must be sealed.  I then put bait traps in all my out buildings, and around the property, that I fill every spring and fall.  If you see one, there are more.

• ?

I use sticky boards in my cabin .  They catch mice, scorpions, small snakes, spiders, and a few other scary things .

• ?

Most? - no. You need to find the hole(s) in your wall(s) and plug them. Rats are serious. They bite.

That might depend where you live and how well built your house is. What you do about it is try to find and block up any way they can get in, keeping in mind that a mouse can get through a space the size of a dime, and set traps or poison out, and put all food in containers that rodents can't or won't try to get into. And remember that they will eat things you might not consider food, if that's all they can find. Candles, for instance

Not the homes with cats in them.

Mice spread disease as they are incontinent and foul everywhere they go. Ingesting mice faeces is known to cause Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, a respiratory disease. They are attracted by food, so keep all bins covered, store items in tin containers and swab surfaces down with disinfectant regularly.  Cover any holes with mesh - mice can squeeze through 10mm holes, but do not block ventilation holes. Set traps or poisoned bait.