What memories do you have from 1969?

• 3 days ago

Quite a few.  The moon landings (everyone forgets about Apollo 12 in November) were the big events that year, but in addition to the loss of my grandfather, I remember Woodstock, the Tate-Lobianca murders committed by the Manson Family, Chappaquiddick, The Carpenters exploded on the music scene, The Beatles had a massive hit with 'Hey Jude', and  'Abbey Road' came out, followed shortly by the 'Paul McCartney is dead' hoax, and President Eisenhower died. I can still remember the school principal announcing it over the PA system. Spent a lot of time riding my Sting Ray bicycle that year...

• 4 days ago

I have no memories from 1969 because I was not born yet. 

• 5 days ago

i wasn't even alive at the time

• Ann
    6 days ago

None that I associate with the year. I do remember getting a D on my social studies project because it didn't have a code even though we worked very, very hard on it. It was disappointing.

Oh yeah! I did get to see the moon landing!

• 6 days ago

None memories because i was born in 1990

• 6 days ago

1960

U-2: An American U-2 spy plane piloted by Francis Gary Powers was shot down over the Soviet Union, causing the U-2 Crisis of 1960.

Syngman Rhee was rescued by the CIA after being forced to resign as leader of South Korea for allegedly fixing an election and embezzling more than US$20 million.

Payola, illegal payments for radio broadcasting of songs, was publicized due to Dick Clark's testimony before Congress and Alan Freed's public disgrace.

John F. Kennedy, a senator from Massachusetts, beats Vice President Richard Nixon in the November 8 general election.

Chubby Checker popularizes the dance The Twist with his cover of the song of the same name.

Psycho: An Alfred Hitchcock thriller, based on a pulp novel by Robert Bloch and adapted by Joseph Stefano, which becomes a landmark in graphic violence and cinema sensationalism. The screeching violins heard at this point in the song are a trademark of the film's soundtrack.

Belgians in the Congo: The Republic of the Congo (Leopoldville) was declared independent of Belgium on June 30, with Joseph Kasavubu as President and Patrice Lumumba as Prime Minister.

1961

Ernest Hemingway commits suicide on July 2 after a long battle with depression.

Adolf Eichmann, a "most wanted" Nazi war criminal, is traced to Argentina and captured by Mossad agents. He is covertly taken to Israel where he is put on trial for crimes against humanity during World War II, convicted in 1961, and hanged the following year, 1962.

Stranger in a Strange Land, written by Robert A. Heinlein, is a breakthrough best-seller with themes of sexual freedom and liberation.

Bob Dylan (then known as Robert Zimmerman) is signed to Columbia Records after a New York Times review by critic Robert Shelton.

Berlin's separation into West Berlin and East Berlin is cemented when the Berlin Wall is erected on August 13 to prevent citizens of East Germany escaping to the West.

The Bay of Pigs Invasion, an attempt by United States-trained Cuban exiles to invade Cuba and overthrow Fidel Castro, fails.

1962

Lawrence of Arabia: The Academy Award-winning film based on the life of T. E. Lawrence starring Peter O'Toole premiered in the United States on December 16.

British Beatlemania: The Beatles, a British rock group, gain Ringo Starr as drummer and Brian Epstein as manager, and join EMI's Parlophone label. They soon become the world's most famous rock band, with the word "Beatlemania" adopted by the press for their fans' unprecedented enthusiasm. In 1964, their tour of the United States would mark the beginning of "the British Invasion".

Ole Miss: A riot was fought between Southern segregationist civilians and federal and state forces as a result of the forced enrollment of black student James Meredith at the University of Mississippi.

John Glenn flew the first American manned orbital mission termed "Friendship 7" on February 20.

Liston beats Patterson: Sonny Liston and Floyd Patterson fought for the world heavyweight championship on September 25, ending in a first-round knockout. This match marked the first time Patterson had ever been knocked out and one of only eight losses in his 20-year professional career.

1963

Pope Paul: Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy and takes the papal name of Paul VI.

Malcolm X makes his infamous statement "The chickens have come home to roost" about the Kennedy assassination, thus causing the Nation of Islam to censure him; about fifteen months later, he himself is assassinated while preparing to make a speech.

British politician sex: The British Secretary of State for War, John Profumo, has a relationship with Christine Keeler, a showgirl, and then lies when questioned about it before the House of Commons. When the truth came out, it led to his own resignation and undermined the credibility of Prime Minister Harold Macmillan.

JFK blown away: President John F. Kennedy is assassinated on November 22 while riding in an open convertible through Dallas.

1965

Birth control: In the early 1960s, oral contraceptives, popularly known as "the pill", first go on the market and are extremely popular. Griswold v. Connecticut in 1965 challenged a Connecticut law prohibiting contraceptives. In 1968, Pope Paul VI released a papal encyclical titled Humanae vitae which reaffirmed Catholic teaching that artificial birth control was a sin.

Ho Chi Minh: A Vietnamese Communist, who served as President of Vietnam from 1954–1969. On March 2, Operation Rolling Thunder begins, with the bombing of the Ho Chi Minh Trail supply line from North Vietnam to the Viet Cong rebels in the south. On March 8, the first U.S. combat troops, 3,500 marines, land in South Vietnam.

1968

Richard Nixon back again: Former Vice President Nixon is elected President in 1968.

1969

Moonshot: Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing, successfully lands on the moon.

Woodstock: Famous rock and roll festival of 1969 that came to be the epitome of the counterculture movement.

• 6 days ago

None, as I wasn't born yet

• 7 days ago

My one and only memory from 1969 is, in fact, the earliest memory I still retain:

I'm sitting on the sofa between my mom & dad and watching flickering images I don't understand on their black & white TV.  My mom is still in her apron and my dad is wearing slacks and a T-shirt. I can smell Joy dish soap and Aqua Velva after shave.

My mom gasps at the TV, covering her mouth with her rubber-gloved hands.  My dad stands and lifts me off the sofa so quickly that I feel dizzy.  He then carries me outside into the driveway and lifts me onto his shoulders, then points up at the Moon hanging bright in the Summer sky.

"They made it," he tells me.  "There are men walking on the Moon right now."

I still don't fully understand but I sense my dad's emotion. I stare up at the sky in wonder.

• 1 week ago

Loads of memories, but my favorite is of my hosting a party that began July 19 and ran through to July 21, with a couple dozen fellow enthusiasts while we watched the astronauts arrive at and land on the Moon.  One brought a TV, so we had two different channels to watch.

• 1 week ago

School exams/fights/girls.............

pop concerts

free sex