Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 2 months ago

Son with a broken baby toe?

My 13 yr old broke his baby toe kicking a toolbox, any special precautions me and his mother need to take?  What treatments?

Rest, ice, and compression.  Pain medications at home are fine.  If the symptoms persist after two weeks, a radiograph is indicated to rule out a toe fracture.  Fifth toe fractures take 4-6 weeks to heal while immobilized in a surgical shoe limiting physical activity.  New radiographs are needed every two weeks to gauge bone healing.  

He needs to see a doctor and get it x-rayed. It might have to be set. 

Buddy tape it, wear supportive hard shoe, if it hurts don’t do it, you can’t work through a break.

Source(s): PA

How do you know it's broken? There's no real treatment for a broken toe, but if noticeably deformed or swollen, it should be x-rayed. I knew I'd broken my little toe, bcuz I heard & felt it snap. But I didn't know until much later that I'd also broken my 5th metatarsal bone.

Treatment depends on severity & level of pain. A cast boot might be advisable for 1-2 weeks to limit movement & keep weight off the ball of the foot. (You can find one at a thrift store.) If it's not really swollen or painful, just keep it taped to the adjoining toe and try to stay off that foot.

OP Anonymous:   Make sure he wears a really good pair of shoes for 6-8 weeks - NO flip flops.    It would be preferred that this pair of shoes be new.  

Source(s): life
  • Tavy

So no Doctor? It could heal bent. See a Doctor.

• kelvin

do what his doctor tells you to do