Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 2 months ago

I’m going to the cardiologist to do a echocardiogram and a ekg but I’m super nervous there gonna find something bad ?

Idk what to do I’m 18 and Have been having chest pain and throat tightness and shoulder pain and other things what do I do 

When I was around 17-18yrs old my primary care doctor sent me to get an EKG at the hospital. I was really nervous and scared like you, I ended up going to the exam, which is nothing to be scared of. They just place some sticky pads over your chest, sides and belly area. From there you lay still while the test is being done. The test is very quick, easy and painless. The cardiologist will read the exam on the spot and you’re done! My test came out normal, but you should go. I know it’s daunting but knowing the results will put your mind at ease. I wish you the best of luck at your exam! :) you can do it! 

• Lili

Well, the point of these tests IS to make sure everything's OK and, if it isn't, to find out what's wrong so that something can be done about it.

That's the point of all medical tests.

At your age, though, the problem is most likely to be not your heart but rather anxiety. It would be very surprising if they found something wrong.

You either stay nervous or you go get checked out.   Based upon what you say I would take a guess that your problems are more mental than physical.   

• ?

If they find something "bad", then there is almost certaintly a FIX.  You should hope they find something.

• ?

Be glad that you are going to get some relief from this problem .

The whole point of these tests is to study the rhythm of your heart and get images of your heart to make sure everything is working properly. If something is off your doctor will be able to pinpoint the problem and offer you solutions.

Wouldn't you rather know what is going?