Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 2 months ago

Suppose the processing load of a computing system consists of 70% CPU activity and 30% disk activity. ?

"Suppose the processing load of a computing system consists of 70% CPU activity and 30% disk activity. Your customers are complaining that the system is slow. After research, you discover that you can upgrade your disks and make them 3.5 times faster than they currently are. You also discovered you can upgrade your CPU to make it 1.4 times faster than it currently is. You only have time to implement one upgrade. Which one do you choose and why?"

With some previous help, I found that multiplying the processing loads by the respective speed gains yields the following results:

CPU  = 0.7*1.4 = 0.98

Disks = 0.3*3.5 = 1.05

However, I am unsure which component to upgrade based on these results. Do these values represent the faster times? Do they represent the speedup? Did I even do my calculations right? What am I missing?

Originally I chose to upgrade the disks because of the higher increase in speed, but the CPU makes up 70% of the processing load, so I may need to upgrade the CPU for a faster system. I'm confused on how to evaluate this problem from a practical and logical standpoint. How do I compare my aforementioned results to the processing loads? 

The CPU.                                        

Switch up the operating system to an open source solution, that alone will solve the problem (because windows uses virtual memory over physical RAM, hence the slow downs). No need to upgrade a physical component or two.

• Fulano

I suspect this is more of a theoretical math question than real life? I'm not a pro on the math side of this question, but in real life there is more going on than just math.

In reality, if neither the CPU or the drives are being maxed out then something else is preventing the system from going faster. It could be something like RAM speed, or the type of interface the disks use that are throttling the rest of the system. In that case upgrading the drive or CPU wouldn't help anything.

The most likely limit is how well the software can use multi-core CPUs. So if that's the case only upgrading the CPU with faster cores would help, but getting a CPU with more cores would not be any help because the software would still be limited to using the same number of cores it was using before.