Who decided that diseased, enlarged duck or goose liver was a delicacy?

Beats me, that just makes me gag.

• ?

It's not diseased, if it was it would be at best bad tasting and at worst toxic. It is just fattened. So you could perhaps describe it as coming from an obese bird, but not a diseased one.

The name fois gras is French, so it is a fair guess that this originated in France. I have never had it myself, it is not something which appeals to me.

• The French; about 1000 years ago (they were touting 'eat everything' out of necessity long before it was fashionable).  Foie gras is actually quite good (BTW, diseased liver or animals that are force-fed are going to produce a very bad tasting liver.

• GibBas

I don't know but I've seen how they do this in Normandy, about 25 years ago. There was about a dozen of us in this place all stood around waiting for enough of us to be there before they started. There were a couple of geese on a table and we all stood around in trepidation waiting to see what was going to happen. They did explain what was going to happen, presumably in case we didn't know so we could leave if we wanted to. I wasn't sure what to expect but could see the gear around. They have a tube connected to a funnel and the other end was inserted into the goose's beak and the liquid was poured down into it; the goose's neck being held up and squeezed so that the stuff made its way down. When the tube was removed and the goose's neck let go the goose's neck dropped straight to the table top it was on. It must have been in agony. I felt awful after seeing that and I'll never eat the stuff.

• kswck2

IT is not diseased and if you actually studied How it is 'made', you wouldn't be so critical. 

• ?

The snail-eating French.

• John

Of course it's not diseased, that's just your little way of throwing up barriers. It falls squarely under the heading of "don't knock it till you've tried it".

• Mark

Probably the same people who thought "caviar" was a delicacy.