Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

How do I get CPS to leave my family alone about taking my brother's kids?

I have my own children and am doing the best I can as a single mother. My brother's baby mama lost their kids to the state earlier this year and instead of trying to adopt the 7 and 4 year old to somebody who can take care of them, CPS keeps contacting and bothering family members. My mother is too old and sick to be tied down with somebody else's kids yet CPS won't leave her alone either. There's nobody in our family who doesn't have kids of their own or is willing to be bothered with the hassle of somebody else's problems. Isn't CPS supposed to send kids to foster parents that can take care of them and get paid to do so? How do I get CPS to do that and leave my family alone?

I should add that my mother doesn't want to take in these kids and has complained to me about being harassed by the social worker. She wants to be left alone to deal with her health and rest in her old age. If my brother can't or won't handle his business and take care of his own kids, my family don't feel responsible for them.

Call head office, put in a complaint and demand that your phone numbers are taken off their calling list. Make sure you get the names of the people you are speaking with, and their titles so that if need be and you again have to contact CPS, you can tell them who you spoke with, their position and what you were told. Make sure they underdstand your familie's position, and have them tell it back to you so that you know for sure that they got the situation right. Also, I am not saying for sure, but more than likely the call will be recorded (listen at the beginning and it should say if it is) and if it is recorded, and they still haven't stopped badgering you, when you call back you can demand to have the call pulled and listened to by a superior. 

• ?

Are you part of a family of mice? Your family can squeek for themselves.

What transpires between CPS and your mother (or other family members) is none of your business.  Butt out.

As another poster stated, CPS always makes an attempt to place the children with safe family members first because they are relatives and the child knows them. This is preferable to placing them with foster parents who are strangers. 

CPS always tries to place kids with family before strangers. Don’t you care what happens to your nieces and nephews? Also, why can’t your brother care for his own kids? You said their mother lost custody. 

Only a lawyer could advise you on that.