Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 3 months ago

Should teenage mothers be forced to give their babies up for adoption? Why or why not?

• ?

If they have loving parents that will help them than they don't need to give the baby up.

• kitta

No,there is no justification. For most of history, young people have become parents when they were old enough to create children.

It was quite common for teenagers to marry  right after high school, or even  without completing high school during the early to mid part of the 20th century. People did not think this was a tragedy. In the 1970s and 80s,  the focus shifted to " a need for higher education of all kinds." Teenagers and even young adults were  entered into an endless period of "dating and finding themselves" which seemed to go on without any real goal in sight. .Children were then viewed as a bother, a hindrance to personal growth, and also something that the average person would probably not know how to take care of.In truth, many teenagers make perfectly fine parents, and there is no reason why they should be forced to hand off their kids to strangers.Children generally do better with their own biological parents. Unless there is clear evidence of abuse, kids should stay with their parents.  

No, because what other people's children do is none of my business. There are not adoptive homes available. Single teenage mothers don't necessarily fail at raising children.

.

Many children develop mental health issues separate from the age of their mother.

.

I think I've said the same thing every time you've asked.

As sad as teenage pregnancy is, you cannot force a mother to give up her child with the exception of the infant being in danger because it is not being cared for properly. Adoption agencies are already past the point of breaking, there are too many kids in the system now that are not being adopted to a family in North America. That is why so many are choosing foreign adoption. North American adoption is so messed up.

No. They will need extra support because of it, but age should not be the deciding factor in whether a girl should place her baby for adoption. 

My biological mother and father placed me for adoption because they were teenagers and lacked resources and support. I am in regular contact with them and they told me that if they had those things at the time, they would have chosen to parent me. Adoption agencies coerce young women to relinquish this way by telling them that their baby deserves better.

While my adoptive family is great and I love them, if I could have been asked as an infant who I wanted to raise me, I would have said my biological parents because that is worth far more to me than a huge backyard with a pony and pool or whatever my bio parents were told I’d be given if they just gave me up. 

Source(s): I am an adoptee.

Only in cases of neglect or abuse.

Our oldest daughter gave birth to her now 17 year old daughter when she was 17 years old. There is no reason that she should have been forced to place her daughter for adoption. She is an excellent mother - she was then, and she is now.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
  • !

They already can be, but only in situations where the safety of the child is in question if they remain with their birth mother. There's certainly no reason to make it a universal rule. Some people start a family immediately after graduating highschool, and they're perfectly ready to do so. It would be a mistake to assume being a teenager (a term that extends to 18 and 19 year olds) is never ready, willing and able to be a parent.