Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionDrama · 2 months ago

Why did Star Trek fans despise Wesley Crusher?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

He could have been a decent character, and had a few good story plots, but could be ridiculously annoying.  For example, in the episode Justice, his line about "Of course we can run." is not delivered convincingly at all. I don't know if that was the writing, the directing, or his acting, though I suspect the last possibility.  As for the actor, he killed his own career leaving as he did.

• Isabel
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Because he was brain meltingly annoying.

• 2 months ago

Because he was a terrible character.  Just so gosh darn good at everything, and super perfect in every way. No flaws. And that makes a character either boring, or annoying.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I think that some of the younger Trekkies were jealous of child prodigy characters who did better in school than they did. LOL!  👨‍🎓

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Take a look at that first season of "S.T.,T.N.G.". In spite of having a ship full of the best people that Star Fleet had, every time something went wrong, they'd turn to the C.M.O.'s kid to save them from disaster. It wasn't Wil Weaton's fault; blame the writing.

• 2 months ago

His personality was at once super-perfect and irritating. And he was a pretty boy.

Lv 5
    2 months ago

He was an obnoxious know-it-all teen. 'Nuff said.

• 2 months ago

Because it was a pandering garbage character that the show kept trying to force the audience to like.  

Wesley was young and unrealistically bright.  He was something of a "Mary Sue" long before that term was invented.  He was young because the producers wanted a character for younger viewers to identify with and attach to.

Except it had the opposite effect.  It felt like being pandered to.  It was condescending.  And for older viewers it was gratingly unrealistic.  BTW, Will Wheaton also was no prize as an actor.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The actor was sub-par for the role.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.