jason asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

If you have lasik is it true you can’t drive at night again?

My mom about 25 years ago had laser eye surgery and for years couldn’t drive at night, I want lasik but not if I can’t drive at night anymore

• L

This used to be true, but with everything changing so much.............lasik surgery may be different now...........  Ask your eye dr.

I never had it done but know many that had and you will be fine to drive at night.

Here are some issues with driving at night after LASIK. The entire cornea is not changed in shape. For some people, their dilated pupils extend beyond the area of the cornea that was reshaped. This can lead to glare at night. Some of us are under corrected. Both my daughter and I find that wearing a slight nearsighted prescription at night makes things much clearer. Things have improved in the last 25 years. Procedures are better. Screening is better. Now, they will not do LASIK on you if they suspect that you won't be able to drive at night afterwards. 

Was it RK not lasik? There had been an increase with age with prismatic halos along the scars of rk to lights

• ?

No, that isn't true.  Like all surgeries, there are risks and potential problems. Some people report that their night vision was greatly improved after LASIK surgery. However, when night vision issues do occur, they are usually temporary. These issues are considered a part of the healing process, and typically disappear within the first six months after surgery. Common night vision issues after LASIK include glare, halos, and starbursts around lights (such as headlights when driving at night).

Feel free to discuss your concerns with the eye surgeon when you go in to see if you are a good candidate for the procedure.  You don't have to proceed with the surgery if you don't like the risks.

• Mark

No, that might have been the vase 25 years ago, but LASIK has been around for DECADES now, so it's perfectly legal.