Which wires are positive or negative?

I bought new speakers for my car and they have red and black clips. The car has grey and green for one speaker. Purple and yellow for the other. Which wires connect to which? 

Look for a "+" sign on one terminal;. it is  high side  of moving coil.  Connect red to it. black to other. Wire both the same.

If one is out of phase. it will sound odd. Reverse One of the speakers.

Idiot anonymous; :You cannot "burn out something" wiring Speakers. He is not asking about the + and - wires from the Battery..

The car's color code tells which wire is positive and which is negative, for sake of polarity. Do one side the same as the other.

well it sounds like you're a bit clueless so maybe you shouldnt be messing with electronics because you could damage something, but what i would do, is I would either go to the library and find an auto repair manual for the car (doesn't work if you live in a run-down area, but nicer libraries will sometimes have a repair manual for your car) and then I would just check the wiring diagrams to find out what color is what. OR you can get a multimeter and turn the speakers on (DONT LET THE WIRES TOUCH) and then I would just test the wiring with a multimeter and see which which has 12 volts and which one is ground. then I would turn the speakers off again.

• k w

it likely was on the paperwork you threw out.....

• James

If you look up a stereo wiring diagram for your car you will figure out which color goes where 

• Rick

doesn't really matter, just so you wire them BOTH the same way .........