How can Dropbox offer a cheaper storage space than Google and Amazon clouds? ?

I am planning to establish a document cloud website. How can documents cloud storage like Dropbox offer a very cheap storage space about $10/TB/month? at the same time, web hosting offers the same space for about $120/month. Amazon and Google clouds offer 1TB for $20/month!!!

How does Dropbox make money?    

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Dropbox is just storage, google and microsoft tend to offer other things in addition. Onedrive you can also get microsoft office if you need that

• 3 months ago

Amazon & Google keep North American data in North America.

Dropbox doesn't.

Looking for the cheapest solution is not always the best.

US companies with operations in the US who know what they are doing require North America storage.

• 3 months ago

Actually, it's TWO terabytes at $10 a month. My guess at the pricing is that probably 90% of users use far less than that amount, so the disc allocation doesn't really occur. The space is conceptually there, but seldom/rarely used. It would be foolish of them to mark off that space for each customer if it's not being used. That is the gamble of such a business, much like selling airline tickets; airlines oversell approx 100% when booking many months in advance because they've learned that many eventually cancel.

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

it doesn't cost any money to let somebody use your computer.

whatever they charge is 100% profit (minus the upkeep on the servers).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

I've used free dropbox for years - both for work and personal use.

They don't waste money on advertising - and have relied on word of mouth to get their product out there.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.