What is the best landline replacement for an older person?

I want to do something to replace my mom's landline because it is getting so expensive.  I think around here the cost of a residential dial tone is $35 and that's if she doesn't call long distance.

I'm not sure about getting her a cell phone, touch screens are out for her, I can't get her to understand how to dial a call or answer the phone if it rings.  She is also worried about loosing her phone number.  My parents had an old heavy phone mounted on the kitchen wall until 1973 when the phone company replaced it with a lighter plastic phone and they had that rotary phone until 1993 when that phone was replaced with a newer phone and she's had her current phone since.   She's had the same phone number since 1973.

I was considering a home phone from Straight Talk, then I could just plug in a regular phone, but I'm not sure if I could just port her current landline or if she would need a new number.  Also it's a real pain to port back out of Straight Talk, only the connection center at Walmart knows how to do it.

I've been trying to teach her how to use a cordless handset but it hasn't been easy.

• ?

Just get a simple cellphone with big buttons and no smart features.

Or a cordless landline phone. 

Make the phone a classic-looking landline, because too many modern bells and whistles are confusing to a senior.  Also, make sure that it has volume control, plus, extra-large glowing buttons.  

There are several alternatives, 

one being a cell phone that looks and operates like a conventional wired phone.   

Another is a low-cost cell phone from Consumer Cellular or Jitterbug.   

Ask for the simplest possible device.    

Any phone number can be reassigned to a new device.   

If she is low income (135% of the poverty line) or on certain public assistance programs then she may qualify for the Lifeline program, a discount on wired or wireless phone service.

• Audrey

Check out Consumer Cellular. It may be just what you need for her.

If you have that many worries about a cell phone and such I suggest keeping the landline and trying to find cheaper alternatives. If she has internet you could get a voip phone that would look and act like a home phone and would probably be cheaper.

If saving $10-20 a month on a telephone line is make or break financially for her there are free programs available and may be something to look into.