Should I apply for promotion?

Hi, need some advice.

An office manager position opened up and there is an open competition for it as they are asking interested ppl to write an email expressing why they should get it. Note that several years back, I held a similar position but due to rapid growth, I made a lateral move and team Leads were created and I was one of them. Then several month ago, a new Office manager position was created but I was passed over for someone else even though I should have been the obvious choice.

This new role reports to a person who is not a very respectful boss, it would add a lot more stress to my plate (I already suffer with anxiety) and due to COVID and other factors, there would likely be a very small pay bump, or not even one at all.

Questions are: Is it a good idea to ask about a potential pay increase in the email if I apply? Should I refrain from applying? Would it "look bad" if I don't apply and stay in my role since I am guessing that management is expecting me to apply?

1. IF and ONLY IF you actually want this job, should you apply. If you go, great -- go for it.  If you don't, then don't apply.  

2. IF the management wanted you for the job, they'd simply offer it to you.  That doesn't mean that won't consider you, but really, if they expected you to apply and were hoping you'd apply, they would simply have talked to you about it.

3. From your post, management is asking people to state why they would be a good choice for this role, not what your demands are.  You'd be a fool to include a raise request in this type of email.  

4. If you won't take the job unless it comes with a pay raise, go talk to the HR folks and find out what the pay range is for the job. 

They decide the pay. Not you. If you don't want it because the "not very respectful boss" then don't apply. Maybe curl up in the fetal position and cry for a few hours.

• n2mama

It doesn’t sound like you are particularly interested in the job nor do you really want it. So I wouldn’t apply, even if you think that management expects you to. If someone were to approach you and ask why you haven’t applied, you can simply say something along the lines of “I don’t think it would be the best fit for me at this time”. You don’t owe anyone a bigger explanation than that. I personally wouldn’t take a position of higher responsibility and stress, working for a boss I wouldn’t like for little to no extra money.