Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Is saying to someone that you 'hate the belief but love the believer' an underhanded way of saying you do not really love them?

I can hate the sin. But have empathy for people struggling with the sin.

No; quite the opposite in fact. You can really like someone while not liking what they do.

I've never heard anyone say that specifically, so I can't say either way as to the relationship of any such speaker or hearer. 

It's literally saying the opposite.

Funny - I seem to have heard that Veiled Hate comment somewhere before...

• What mankind doesn't realize is that a man's belief in his spirit which is the man (James 2:26) is his god!

"For as the body without the spirit is dead..." (James 2:26).

"Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?" (Romans 6:16)!

So how can a Christian love an unbeliever when Hebrews 3:19 says

"So we see that they could not enter because of UNBELIEF" (Revelation 21:8)?

Jesus died to provide THE WAY that (((ALL))) ***MIGHT*** "...shall not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16) but only for those "...whosoever BELIEVETH [Not have faith] in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:15)! 

Loving a person does not mean you like there action. You can acknowledge them but close the door anytime you want. I love my kids very much but I hate that they choice earthly things over God. But it will not stop me from loving them.

Absolutely. It's a passive-aggressive way of retaining your prejudice and hate as you try to appear nice. Gay people are not, have never been, fooled by this. 

• yesmar

It's a convenient way for the one saying it to convince themselves that they are doing right, and feeling better about themselves,  when in fact they are doing the opposite and completely ignoring Jesus' instructions.

Source(s): Jesus follower

"Hate the sin, love the sinner" is how Christians indulge in hate while pretending to love their neighbor.  I think if the same were applied to belief some who were capable of reflection might begin to understand.