Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 4 weeks ago

Is it safe/wise to put a used PSU into a new PC I'm building? **PLEASE READ DETAILS**?

It's a Corsair CX750M I bought in late July 2015 to replace the one in my PC that went bad. I got a new PC in March or April of 2016, less than a year later. It had its own PSU who I wrapped the Corsair up in bubblewrap and a plastic bag and stored it in my closet. Took it out, it was clean and in remarkable shape. I installed it in my current PC just to test it, still works fine.

It's compatible with the build I plan on making very soon and can handle more than enough watts. Should I have any reservations about putting it in that build? It is used, but it was used for less than a year. In fact, since I was in Florida for 3 1/2 weeks in December of 2015, it was really only used for 7-8 months or so, if that.

Check the voltages with a multimeter. 

12V = Yellow.

5V = Red.

3.3V = Orange. 

Ground = Black.

All voltages should have a tolerance of ±5% i.e 12V shouldn't have a voltage lower than 11.40V and greater than 12.60V (12 x 5% = 0.6V).

Hope it helps and best of luck.  

Yeah it’s safe. As long as that PSU doesn’t have any defects you are all set.

Somebody already said it but I'll say it again...... If it's an older Green Label CX750M then I'd eventually replace it. If it's one of the newer Grey Label units then it will be good to go.

1 year of use isn't much but the Green Label CX power supply units aren't known to be super reliable. I think the Grey Label units came out in late 2016 to sometime in 2017 so I'm fairly certain you have one of the Green label units. It's not a bad idea to spend the extra $30 or so bucks on a power supply like the Corsair RM series or Seasonic Prime series.

There's no way in hell that I'd pair a Green Label CX750M up with an RTX 3080.

Personally I wouldn't build a PC until I could get an RTX 30-sereis or RX 6000 series GPU that falls within my budget range. Nvidia just released the $500 RTX 3070 the other day but those are all sold out. AMD is also releasing the Ryzen 5000 series on November 5th.

• keerok

If it works, why not?

If it works, it works, no problem.  Don't worry about it, it'll be fine.

• J

It's *PROBABLY* safe. The green-label CXM PSUs have a reputation for being less reliable than the newer grey-label ones (which are still being made with the same design). If yours is a grey-labeled one, I see no reason not to use it over a new one of the same model. Ultimately, any power supply can fail, and possibly damage the rest of the system, new or old, high-end or low-end.

i would ask about it at a computer place