Can I fly out the country with expired foreign passport during an emergency?

My mom is a US resident who has a foreign passport that is currently expired. There was a death in the family and my simple question is would there be a way for my mom to travel due to the emergency even though she has an expired foreign passport? If anyone is educated on the topic please respond, serious responses only please. We’re headed into the weekend and all the places I can get these answers from are closed until Monday. This is the best I got for answers

Emergency Travel Document is designed for this situation.

You get it from your Embassy or Consulate in the USA.

There are 200 FOREIGN countries.If you want a better answer then specify country of destination.

The AIRLINE has no obligation to let you board if not holding a valid passport.

It is an international agreement between Airlines.

• RICK

Answer is NO, emergencies are the reason you should never let a passport expire.

NEVER allow a passport to expire! Your mother should have applied to her country's consulate for renewal 6 months prior to expiration. This is exactly the sort of situation you want to prevent! No, your mother is absolutely prohibited from travel, will not even be allowed to board any aircraft, with an expired passport. She must apply to her country's nearest consulate to her residence in US & receive her new passport. Depending on her citizenship & her country's efficiency, that could take weeks. Depending on how long ago her passport expired, she could have major problems & delays getting her new passport. 

Some countries may issue a "travel document" which is ONLY valid for return to country of citizenship. She will have to apply for a new passport while back in her own country before she can book any flight back to US, or go anywhere else. Depending on her status in US, she might need to apply for another visa to US after she receives her new passport. Or is she a legal permanent resident with a currently valid green card? Then she needs that GC in addition to her currently valid passport from her country to return to US.

She won't be allowed to board a commercial flight without a valid passport. Monday she'll have to contact a US based Consulate for her nation of origin and try to arrange emergency travel documents. 

I am very sorry for your loss :( but I don’t think they’ll let her board a plane without a valid passport. Have her renew it ASAP. 

No.   No airline will allow someone to board an international flight with an expired passport. She needs to call the Embassy or nearest Consulate for her country of nationality. 

No.

Contact the embassy,

Or be Deported.

• Maxi

Your mother is flying nowhere without a valid passport

• ?

Nope. An expired document is no longer legally valid. If she is a citizen of another country looking to travel to that country in emergency circumstances, she should contact that countties embassy or consulate, but she may find it hard to get back in to the us, even though she is a resident. And thats assuming her home countty doesnt have a travel ban against all travel.from the us due to covid

She can leave the US but you'll need to tell us which country she wants to enter, and when that passport expired and how long is left on the US one.  There's not enough details here