How far from home is too far to apply for a job?

Locally there are no real good places to work.  It seems the local Dollar General is always looking for cashiers and sometimes the school advertises for janitors.  I was wondering just how far from home was too far.  One job I applied for which is 50 miles from here offered me $12/hr. to be a supervisor, but I'll have to work for $11/hr. for the first three months to learn the job and prove myself.  

I'm going to have to buy gas to get to work, my vehicle will need new tires, and some engine work.  If I have to get a different car and make car payments, I don't see how I will make any money going to work -- I'm stuck in this town and can't relocate at the present time for family reasons, but I can go to a job within driving distance.  

Am I looking at this wrong?  

If it's not actually inside the home it's too far away.

Usually, about a 30-40 minute commute.  Of course, it depends on the pay and the type of transportation you have. 

At only $12/hour, you aren't going to be making any real money if you end up spending a thousand or more on your car and then paying $100/month for gas. 

The issue is that 50 miles could be 50 minutes or it could be 2 hours of driving each way, depending on the traffic and weather conditions.  Most people would not commute that far in a personal car even for a significantly higher salary.  It's a different story if you can hop on public transportation and do something with that commute time. 

I always liked the long drive. One was 70 miles away.

It gave me time to unwind before I got home. Plus visa-versa going to work.

If your car needs new tires and some engine work...whether you take the job or not...your car will still need new tires and some engine work.

Plus being a supervisor might mean you'll need to be there 7 days a week.

Maybe borrow a camper trailer and park it behind the store and live there when you work.

Knowing D.G. has a lot of their stores off in the boonies they may like to have a 24 hour presence on their property.

And what mileage does your car get? If 30+mpg that's 3 gallons a day = 15 gallons a 5 day work week. Where I live that's about $28 to $30 a week.

People spend a lot more than that a week for lunch and their Starbucks.

Sack lunches and a thermos of coffee will pay for your gas.

If you have any sort of vehicle that can travel 50 miles one way (that's 100 miles a day) and will hold up, then the costs to you will be relatively minimal to do so. However, you aren't going to be making very much money if you do take that job. But, you've already stated that your vehicle is not that reliable, so this job may end up costing you more money than you will make; 

I don't think you're looking at this wrongly--I think you're being as practical as you can be in rejecting that offer. A lower-paying job closer to you may be the only option right now, but at least you will be making something to put toward the car repairs and maintenance so you CAN travel a bit further later on. 

The travel time matters more than the distance.  In some places, 20 miles is too far, because it takes 3 hours to drive that far.  In other places, 50 miles is fine, because you can that in 40 minutes.

• a

Having done it for sixteen years - 30 miles (took about an hour) was my limit - AND my husband was commuting with me. So one car took us both into the city and home.

That's an awful lot of wear and tear on a car for $12 an hour. Even Micky D's are paying $12 an hour, around here. And the turnover in places like that is such that you'll likely be up for promotion in six months or so.

• For me it that would be too much of a commute, and a lot of wear and tear on your car. If your car needs work get it done before you get the job. I've never had to drive more then an hour to my work places. 

Unless you have management or leadership experience, they're not likely going to hire you, unless they see some potential in you to become a good supervisor.My husband used to commute for 2- 3 hours to and from his workplace. He finally caved into my suggestions and moved closer to his workplace.

If it's more than 15 or so miles I wouldn't go.

• Kyle

you can test it.  leave on a Monday or Tuesday morning during rush hour.  figure out what time you would need to wake up, eat, shower get dressed, and have enough time to get there.  if you feel like it's worth it every day to do that, then that is your call.  if not, keep applying.

generally, i try to keep it around 15-20 miles to get to work.  which takes on average 30-40 minutes depending on the direction of traffic i'm with or against.  obviously less is better.  

For me...I wouldn't look more than 1 mile in diameter from where I currently live to find a job...that would be too far.

For my neighbor...he drives an hour...across state lines for his job....and he is fine with that.