I got a car loan with an ex (cosigner) and she is intentionally paying not paying the amount due or on time. Is there anything I can do?

I don't have a key to the vehicle nor the paperwork. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Are you a co-signer or the primary borrower? 

There is very little you can do. The only path is to seek legal advice.

Presuming you are a co-signer as mentioned in the question depending on the credit history of the primary borrower, some lenders may give you as a co-signer the option to be removed after a certain period of time, though this situation is rare, as it does not benefit the lender.You may call the lender to inquire about it. In some situations, the primary borrower may be able to have you removed as the co-signer.

• 1 month ago

You pay off the loan and then sue her for the amount you have paid the loan company. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Make the payments to protect your credit.

• 1 month ago

Are you the primary on the loan and she is the secondary co-signer? Then you are responsible for the loan payments.

Whose name is on the car's title? Just one, or both? A co-signer doesn't necessarily mean a co-owner. If you are the only one on the title, it's your car even if she had been making payments. Ownership and loan responsibility don't need to be the same. Making payments on your behalf doesn't make her an owner.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Unfortunately, once the other person has started missing payments, your options for dealing with a defaulted co-signed loan are limited.

If the loan payments are behind, but the loan hasn’t defaulted yet, you can prevent more severe actions by catching up on the payments yourself.

To protect your credit and prevent a lawsuit, you may have to cover the monthly payments until the person you co-signed for can start making payments on their own. 

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Make the payments to protect your credit.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Looks like the car is hers since you don't have the car, the keys and you are not making payments.. Let her have it since your credit already stinks.. If you are making payments on time and on the title you can probably force the issue to get it..

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can go get the car if you can find someone to tow it for you. They would need proof that you own it and if she came out and argued they would not do it. (It has to be peaceful)

You can pay so your credit does not tank. 

You have as much right to the car as her if you are a co-owner which you probably are.

I knew a former couple who had a car loan together. They shared the car when they got along. When they did not, each "stole" it from one another over & over. Nothing the cops can do because both have a right to the car at any or all times. Its not 50-50 and it does not matter who paid what.

The lender may be willing to repo it and turn it over to you. But she could take it back.  How do your name read on the title?  If there is an "and" between the names you cannot sell it without her. If there is an "or" you can without permission or her signature.

• 1 month ago

The car is in her possession. I understand both of our credit is at risk which is why I need an action plan. Legally is there anything I can do?

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

your credit is going to tank, right along with hers, if that matters. this is a life lesson you're going to learn the hard way. pay the car notes before you're ruined financially.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.